Did I fry my RTC chip?

=(

I have a DS1339C, the crystal is built in.
Wire.begin(); is called...then

Serial.println("Reading time");
Wire.beginTransmission(0x68);
Wire.write((byte)0x00);
Wire.endTransmission();

Wire.requestFrom(0x68,7);
Serial.println((int)Wire.read());

It always prints back 0,0,0,1,1,1,0, each on a different line, leading me to believe the oscillator is not working or something else is wrong. The i2c communication seems to be working fine, because I can set a time on the RTC chip and when I read it back it's no longer 0,0,0,1,1,1,0.

I THINK I have it wired up correctly. With the notch facing up, top left pin is SCL, top right is SDA.

So, assuming this chip is facing up
SCL - SDA
SQW - GND
VCC - Vbackup
NC - NC
NC - NC
NC - NC
NC - NC
NC - NC
Every NC pin is attached to ground. Vbackup is grounded, VCC has 5v out from a Arduino micro. SQW is floating, GND is grounded, SCL and SDA are hooked up appropriately.

According to the DS1339 datasheets, the chip can handle 5v fine. I am not so great at soldering so I wonder if I somehow damaged the chip, but it's odd that it is partially working.

Reviewing the datasheet again..it calls for a pull-up resistor from SQW to VCC. Just added a 1k there to VCC, but still no dice.

Arduinos, including the Micro, have pull-up resistors built in and enabled by default for i2c, right? The device calls for pullups on SDA and SCL, but the Micro should have that built in?

"The slave address byte contains the 7-bit DS1339 address, which is 1101000,
followed by the direction bit (R/W), which is 1 for a read."

Does wire add the 0/1 to the LSB to make the complete 8-bit address?

Any chance you wrote a 1 to MSB of the control register?

Bit 7: Enable Oscillator (EOSC). This bit when set to logic 0 starts the oscillator. When this bit is set to a logic 1,
the oscillator is stopped. This bit is enabled (logic 0) when power is first applied.

So, I was just looking into that. EOSC, and the status address.
Status(0x0E) is showing as 128 on power up.

So I wrote 128 to 0x0F, control, to disable the oscillator, then wrote a 0 shortly after to reenable.
Still, the timer is not working.

I'm wondering if this device truly isn't 5v compatible, because the oscillator is getting disabled on powerup, and even if I turn it on, it doesn't actually seem to be working.