Did I hook up my LED strips correctly?

Greetings,
So im hooking up two 12v RGB LED strips. I dont want to fry my board so I wanted to know if I hooked this up correctly before I add any power source

Do I have to use the power plug on my board or can I plug 9v battery to my VIN pin?
I was told to not power the board with the 12v battery and to only use the board for the ground pin

The barrel jack is identical to the VIN pin.

No idea how many LEDs you have and what the specs are on your 12V source, but in terms of connections, it looks fine.

INTP:
The barrel jack is identical to the VIN pin.

No idea how many LEDs you have and what the specs are on your 12V source, but in terms of connections, it looks fine.

Ahhh ok, good to know. Im hooking about two 5m rolls, about 500 LEDs

And is this 12V battery some kind of battery that will actually be upwards of 14V?
And have you figured that 500 RGB LEDs can draw 60mA each meaning your battery will need to provide 30Amps worst case?

INTP:
And is this 12V battery some kind of battery that will actually be upwards of 14V?
And have you figured that 500 RGB LEDs can draw 60mA each meaning your battery will need to provide 30Amps worst case?

I'm running them off a 8AA 12v battery pack. even if I know it wont last long at all... its all I have now. Im thinking of putting one pack for the first roll and the second battery pack for the second roll of LEDs.
Untill I get my external power bank in the mail

Hi,
If you are supplying currents over 1A from any battery, PLEASE put a fuse in the positive lead.
A short anywhere can cause not only component failure, but FIRE.

Tom… :slight_smile:

TomGeorge:
Hi,
If you are supplying currents over 1A from any battery, PLEASE put a fuse in the positive lead.
A short anywhere can cause not only component failure, but FIRE.

Tom... :slight_smile:

Ok I will certainly add one. any suggestion of which one I should use?

Hi,
You need to calculate how much current your LEDs will draw, then use or nearest larger fuse.

Tom..... :slight_smile:

TomGeorge:
Hi,
You need to calculate how much current your LEDs will draw, then use or nearest larger fuse.

Tom..... :slight_smile:

ok! and do it put it before or after the capacitor?

I think your power supply is insufficient and you're only risking damaging your lights simply because you're being impatient on waiting for your power supply to arrive.
People don't run 500 RGB LEDs, which is like 1500 LEDs, on AA batteries.
Forget the advice about a fuse, it's irrelevant. You just shouldn't try.

INTP:
I think your power supply is insufficient and you're only risking damaging your lights simply because you're being impatient on waiting for your power supply to arrive.
People don't run 500 RGB LEDs, which is like 1500 LEDs, on AA batteries.
Forget the advice about a fuse, it's irrelevant. You just shouldn't try.

Ok I see where youre coming from. and ill wait for the power bank. But just for sake or knowing, how will the weaker power source damage the LEDs? I certainly will take your advice, just interested to know.

Hi,
You put the fuse at the positive terminal of the power source, so that everything it supplies has current running through the fuse.

Tom.... :slight_smile:

Because 1500 LEDs will try to draw more amps than your AAs can provide, voltage will drop, starving your LEDs, but maybe for a short moment your LEDs will have to deal with erratic power, and due to the heavy current draw on alkalines in series, you risk a cell reversing polarity and leaking. Not sure how NiMH or other AA chemistries would respond to being abused like that.

INTP:
Because 1500 LEDs will try to draw more amps than your AAs can provide, voltage will drop, starving your LEDs, but maybe for a short moment your LEDs will have to deal with erratic power, and due to the heavy current draw on alkalines in series, you risk a cell reversing polarity and leaking. Not sure how NiMH or other AA chemistries would respond to being abused like that.

thanks for the information and saving me from a possible catastrophic problem. I really appreciate your help and everyone help on these forums