Did I kill my Arduino by spamming the Serial?

The very first sketch I uploaded to my new Arduino Uno was this:

void setup() { Serial.begin(9600); }

void loop() { Serial.println("hello\n"); }

It seemed to upload and reset fine. But now I am totally unable to communicate with my Arduino. I cannot view the serial monitor, and I cannot upload new sketches to it.

I suspect that using println like that with no delay is "clogging" the serial line or something. After uploading this sketch, the arduino IDE takes much longer to start up than it used to, and clicking on the "Tools" menu causes a very long delay before it decides that there is no serial connection.

Trying to upload a sketch sometimes gives an error message like "Serial port not found" and sometimes gives a message like "Serial port in use by another program."

Is my suspicion right? Is there some way to reprogram the board now that the serial port is continually saturated like this?

have you plugged it in without the arduin software running also try installng the firmware to the arduino again

OK, I managed to fix the "Serial port already in use" errors by deleting an apparently stale lock file in /var/lock. That allowed me to upload a new sketch, so I think I am all set. Sorry for the false alarm!

See this thread : http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1286088093/30#30 the solution is in post #34

Yes, thanks, that is useful information. If the Arduino's TX light is constantly on, you can try to upload immediately after resetting. Or provide whatever input is necessary (if any exists, depending on the sketch running) to stop TX.