Didn't take 'em long.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ARDUINO-UNO-ATMEGA328P-Better-Than-Duemilanove-2009-/130453604782?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e5fa409ae

mmmmmm crystals…

Can you report them on ebay? I’ll not buy a copy claiming to be the original, period.

Clones… better than the original lol.

Can you report them on ebay?

Wouldn’t hurt. But I suspect the trademark owner will have to be the one to complain.

Great price…it used TI usb to serial converter.

Jeckson

I’m offering barter details:

http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=100189

(Not original, made based on reference design)

That particular seller appears to denote it as a clone…
Quite hard to miss that text, in my opinion.

That particular seller appears to denote it as a clone…
Quite hard to miss that text, in my opinion.

I disagree. I missed it the first couple of times…

They use the ardunio name, even throwing in the trademark symbol, and use the official Arduino website name. That makes it fraudulent, IMO.

-j

I don’t know whether you can call it fraudulant. Now if they hadn’t mentioned it in the listing, I’d agree, but fact is… they did. If you get conned because you didn’t read the text accompanying the photo (especially since you know the ‘official’ arduino has a blue PCB), then that is your fault… not the one selling it. If you destroy something because you didn’t read the manual, it is your fault, no? So wouldn’t that make… if you buy something, without reading what it is, isn’t it your fault either?

As for the name / website adress. I haven’t checked, so do correct me if I’m wrong… but isn’t that included in the published open source files? How can you call them frauds when they make an easily distinguishable from the real thing (the colour, and accompanying text are some fine markers)… from the published open source files?

Now I’m all for starting an angry mob, I’ll even toss in the torches, but in this case I do feel it is the people here seriously over-reacting. This particular person isn’t trying to pass it off as an arduino made by the arduino team, afterall.

eh it was removed anyway, but the clearly marked sparkfun brand uno still lives on …

made for you by sparkfun electronics

Two points:

1. It was misleading. The first time I looked at the webpage I thought it was an “Arduino”. That is, after all, what was written on the board. In the correct font face. Including the “TM”.

2. Making a clone is not a problem. Putting “Arduino” on your clone is. All the idiot had to do was make a clone without the word “Arduino” on it and they would have been fine.

But then how could anyone find the clones of arduino in ebay if they could not have the arduino name anywhere?
I think that calling then clones is a bit strange, they are the same, they are a LOT cheaper and work just like any other made by anyone else, or if I program the arduino bootloader in one chip I cant say it is an “arduino”, all this trademark is a bit stupid and thats my formal opinion in the matter.
Almost all the “Arduino” code is copied from Atmel datasheets and App Notes or from AVR projects and library’s, so what is arduino?
A crippled core that abstracts you from using direct port access and the such?
There are tons of libs that just do that and are much smaller and efficient…

1. It was misleading. The first time I looked at the webpage I thought it was an “Arduino”. That is, after all, what was written on the board. In the correct font face. Including the “TM”.

Excuse me, but I do beg to differ that you are the leading authority on this matter. If the official files include such text, a pure ‘clone’ should contain it aswell. This means that if you wan’t to b*tch about this, ask the official creator of the product to use custom text on their boards. Now if those aren’t released, it would simply mean that arduino has become proprietary. Choose.
But finding it misleading, despite them listing that it isn’t manufactured by the arduino team (with a highlighted line, even, together with the other item identifying features!), is your problem.

1. Making a clone is not a problem. Putting “Arduino” on your clone is. All the idiot had to do was make a clone without the word “Arduino” on it and they would have been fine.

Hey, whattayaknow, arduino is considered open-source… its even on wikipedia.
So if I print my own arduino from the official files, it isn’t an arduino?
If you don’t deviate from the provided designs, how is it any different from the ‘official’ board? Because the arduino team didn’t pay for the batch? Do we even know what distribution setup they use? What deals they have with possible suppliers?
This is just b*tching about the origin, and not about the open source part of the product (which encourages other manufacturers to produce the product too, or you should keep it proprietary).

So sorry coding badly, but I do find that post of yours to be contradicting the essence of the project.

Excuse me, but I do beg to differ that you are the leading authority on this matter. If the official files include such text, a pure ‘clone’ should contain it aswell. This means that if you wan’t to b*tch about this, ask the official creator of the product to use custom text on their boards. Now if those aren’t released, it would simply mean that arduino has become proprietary. Choose.

Dude, you are way out of touch with reality.

The design was released as open source by the Arduino team.

The name Arduino was trademarked by the arduino team, which means they are the only ones allowed to use it.

As a third party I can say “this is an Arduino clone” because I’m not claiming the name as my own. If I make a clone and say “this is an Arduino” I have infringed on the rights that the Arduino team has protected by means of the trademark.

The Sparkfun Arduino is the official Arduino, purchased from the Arduino team and resold. They only thing Sparkfun did was to add retail packaging. Its is most certainly not a fraudulent clone.

Because they have released the design as open source, anyone can release their own copy of the Arduino. My fear is that the Arduino team may decide not to release files (e.g. PCB layout) i nthe future because cloners who are too stupid/lazy to even change the text before they send the files out for fabrication.

-j

Yeah, changing the name Arduino would be sufficient according to the official documentation. I guess the spirit of open source is to improve upon it like what Seeedstudio does.

Imahilus,

I politely ask you to Stop Btching yourself! Arduino is a registered trade mark, meaning don’t fcking use it if someone don’t f*cking own it.

Have you , have you ever opened the arduino uno design file and discover the message in the largest font that Arduino is a registered mark?

Wiki is not your lawyer and you shouldn’t trust everything it says. Why do you think using someone else’s trade mark and registered symbols not a fraud? The Arduino folks designed the board, paid to get their silk screen designed, and had their board pass FCC(need quote). You can’t just make an effortless copy and pretend it’s arduino. They’re nice enough for everybody less to allow use like Seeeduio, Induino etc. So if someone wants money, do it right, remove the copyrighted names and silk screen (takes less time than btching) and call it btchingduino if they like but not Arduino.

Sorry for the language folks, someone needs to know some basics of copyrights and what opensource is about. >:( >:( >:(

All this because I found a knockoff Uno on Ebay. Its a well established industry on Ebay, if was on there it was a knockoff except for one or two that announced themselves as ‘compatible’. I can’t see the Chinese suddenly taking any notice of copyright because Arduino evolved from Duemilanove to Uno :slight_smile:

Anyone seen a suspiciously cheap iPod lately ? I have and Apple are fierce when it comes to copyright. Massimo and crew seem fairly laid back…

Perhaps the next version of the “reference design” will have
EVIL CLONEWARE
plastered across the silkscreen, and be completely devoid of any trademarked names or phrases.

I dont see what it matters while the SF still exist’s ( I mean focks sake it says sparkfun electronics arduino main board designed to help you on the front and copyrights it sparkfun on the back!)

this isnt a I hate SF rant, though I do … its they are selling a arduino uno void of its original packaging with sparkfun electronics slathered all over it and even show the help and reference page on the back as a SF website, no mention of arduino the team site or community what so ever

its either all or nothing here, you either defend your precious trademark or dont, its not a wishy washy “but we like them so its ok”, or its ebay / community member providing cores, and how dare they use a surname to represent something compatible with our product

they either are defending it or not, period

I give it a little bit longer before I start hollering to the proper people, as they are NOT actively protecting their trade mark (which is about the only thing they have since every other aspect of the project is based on some one else’s open source design, from wiring to processing)

honestly the cat is out of the bag the arduino team could disappear tomorrow and it would make little difference once the dust settles and someone becomes the next definer, or heck if it never advanced again there would still be millions of users for at least a decade

SFE seems to be a major vendor of arduinos in US so maybe they can call some shots and slap their names everythere there is still room. About the red package, it reminds me of target. Maybe someone could persvade target to carry arduino.

I always figured that SparkFun has “special arrangements” with the Ardunio team (by virtual of the existence of the “Pro” boards.) I bet if you manufacture your own boards and send a per-board royalty to the core team, YOU can put your own packaging around the board too… Virtue is often negotiable.