Diecimila, crazy lights, not working

My Diecimila arrived today… I plugged it in, and the L light flashes non-stop. I put an led to pin 13, and hit reset… the led flashes once, and the L light goes crazy again. Is the L light flashing all the time normal?

I’m using Fedora 8, and it’s seen when I plug it in:
Dec 28 16:57:41 eidolon kernel: ftdi_sio ttyUSB0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now disconnected from ttyUSB0
Dec 28 16:57:41 eidolon kernel: ftdi_sio 2-1:1.0: device disconnected
Dec 28 16:57:47 eidolon kernel: usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 6
Dec 28 16:57:47 eidolon kernel: usb 2-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
Dec 28 16:57:47 eidolon kernel: ftdi_sio 2-1:1.0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected
Dec 28 16:57:47 eidolon kernel: drivers/usb/serial/ftdi_sio.c: Detected FT232RL
Dec 28 16:57:47 eidolon kernel: usb 2-1: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0

I tried to upload the blink sketch, and go this (no errors on the software itself)

[root@eidolon Arduino]# ./arduino
Experimental: JNI_OnLoad called.
Stable Library

Native lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7
Java lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7

/usr/lib/gcc/avr/4.1.2/…/…/…/…/avr/bin/ld: crtm168.o: No such file: No such file or directory
Couldn’t determine program size: avr-size: ‘/home/fynflood/sketchbook/sketch_071228b/applet/sketch_071228b.hex’: No such file
avrdude: can’t open input file /home/fynflood/sketchbook/sketch_071228b/applet/sketch_071228b.hex: No such file or directory
avrdude: write to file ‘/home/fynflood/sketchbook/sketch_071228b/applet/sketch_071228b.hex’ failed
/usr/lib/gcc/avr/4.1.2/…/…/…/…/avr/bin/ld: crtm168.o: No such file: No such file or directory
Couldn’t determine program size: avr-size: ‘/tmp/build18430.tmp/sketch_071228b.hex’: No such file

Am I noobin it up and doing something dumb?

The crazy blinking on the L / pin 13 LED is normal. That's the test program that goes on the Diecimila after it's manufactured.

The error you're getting sounds like a problem with the install of avr-gcc or avr-libc. Did you install them both? How? Did the avr-gcc install include avr-g++?

mellis,

Thanks for the reply. I just installed them with yum: [root@eidolon arduino-0010]# yum install avr-gcc avr-binutils avrdude avr-gdb avr-gcc-c++

I gave this a shot on my ladies mac running osx leopard, and am getting this error when uploading:

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

You need to install avr-libc too. I don't think it's included with avr-gcc.

ok, I think the mac deal was due to me having the wrong port selected. I gave it a go on my windows install, and it works ;D

So yeah, totally an avr issue. I'll give the avr-libc a go. /me hates windows

installing avr-libc did it. Thanks a lot!