Diesel fuel consumption calculation

Hi all,

I am new to this forum so I hope I am posting in the right section. Since the search button was not the lord and savior that I was looking for I am turning my call of desperation to you guys. I am working on a automative bachelors thesis where one part of the research is the calculation of real-time diesel consumption in a car by using OBDII/Arduine sensor info. I figured it out for a normal fuel engine, but i am clueless on how to do it on a diesel car since there is no stoichiometricity of the air and fuel. Does anyone know which sensor data is needed and to calculate the consumption and which formulas could be used

Many thanks in advance!!

Roekudoo: i am clueless on how to do it on a diesel car since there is no stoichiometricity of the air and fuel.

Surely there must be? It's aaaages since I studied any of that stuff but wiki reminds me it's to do with mass balance.

Says here it's 14.6, pretty much the same as I recall petrol being at 14.7

I'm not sure how much info is available on the ODBC bus, but I know on my new GMC diesel, it seems to be able to track the fuel used very close to the actual (I believe it is using the information on the injector drive to calculate that info). I sort of remember seeing something in the past that indicated that information was available so you can calculate fuel consumption based on the pulse width to the injectors.