Diference: Arduino Decimilia vs Arduino Serial

I am planning to buy a Fundamental Logic MaxSerial which I assume is the same or equivalent to Arduino Serial. I prefer to use the RS232 interface to connect it to more devices (including some routers running Linux), but I am also attracted by Arduino Decimilia.

Without considering the USB vs Serial (RS232) interface, What other differences are between Arduino Serial/MaxSerial and Arduino Decimilia?

I am planning to buy a Fundamental Logic MaxSerial which I assume is the same or equivalent to Arduino Serial. I prefer to use the RS232 interface to connect it to more devices (including some routers running Linux), but I am also attracted by Arduino Decimilia.

Without considering the USB vs Serial (RS232) interface, What other differences are between Arduino Serial/MaxSerial and Arduino Decimilia?

With the Arduino serial you need to have an external power supply, and you need to add a voltage regulator to have 3.3V output from the board. I think there are no other differences. I am not sure if MaxSerial has autoreset like the Diecimila. I think it has autoreset, but ask Fundamental Logic about it.

With the Arduino serial you need to have an external power supply, and you need to add a voltage regulator to have 3.3V output from the board. I think there are no other differences. I am not sure if MaxSerial has autoreset like the Diecimila. I think it has autoreset, but ask Fundamental Logic about it.

• I’m not sure, but I think that Freeduino Maxserial have a built-in 3.3v. voltage regulator.
  • Maxserial uses a max232 to convert ttl to serial, and Arduino Serial uses two transistors.
  • Max serial has a pin13Led onboard, and Arduino Serial doesn’t.
  • Diecimila has TX and RX leds, and Maxserial and Arduino Serial don’t.
  • Arduino Serial don’t have reset and 3.3v pins beside power/gnd pins.

MaxSerial has the 3.3V option ($ 1.15 additional) and has auto-reset (according to information in Fundamental Logic’s web site).

Thank you for your reply.

FYI, the nkcelectronics serial v2.0 board also uses the max232 for serial conversion and has pads for an onboard 3.3 volt regulator.