Diference between the arduino boards

Hi!

Sorry if this is not the proper section to put my question...

I'm kinda new to the arduino board and I would like to know what is the diference between the arduino duemilanove and the mini arduino.

I've just finished a circuit using the arduino duemilanove to control a dc motor, that reacts to a light sensor. It works perfectly and it is a very simple circuit. And I'm also using a l293D motor driver.

Since the circuit is very simple I think it would be possible to substitute the duemilanove board for a mini arduino... Yet I would like to be sure.

If someone could confirm this to me I would be very thankful

thanx

Check the specifications. If they have the same processor and the same supply voltage (5V or 3.3V), they can be interchanged electrically. If they have the same physical size, you can use the same shields (the connector position of the Arduino of equal size is usually equal). If they have the same USB connector and power plug, you can interchange them. If some connector misses (for example some pro need a USB-to-TTL converter that is already on board the Duemilanove) you need to get it as extra.

If you really want to be certain, download the circuit of the two you're interested and check the parts important to you. The circuit itself is quite simple and easy to follow.

Korman

If you want to see what all of the boards have, see this page:

http://www.duinoaday.co.uk/hardware.html

Mowcius

Hey Mowcius,

Great job with that list of Arduino hardware. You must be rather obsessive to do something like that, I have no idea why you’d go to so much trouble :wink:

Any chance you could add the TwentyTen to the list? To make it easy, here are the details in the same format you’ve used. As close as I could get in text, anyway:

Freetronics TwentyTen

Direct equivalent to the ‘standard size’ USB Arduino board
Shield compatible.
Through hole ATmega chip (can be easily replaced).
Automatic input power selection.
Several changes compared to the Arduino USB:

• Prototyping area
  • LEDs relocated to the right edge for visibility when a shield is fitted.
  • USB socket shrunk down to mini-USB size.

Microcontroller: ATmega328P
Operating Voltage: 5V
Input Voltage: 6-20V
Digital I/O Pins: 14 (6 PWM)
Analog Input Pins: 6
Flash Memory: 32 KB
SRAM: 2 KB
EEPROM: 1 KB
Clock Speed: 16 MHz
Connection Type: USB mini-B

Thanks!

Any chance you could add the TwentyTen to the list?

Yes I can do that. I think it was you who sent me a message about it wasn't it?

As you may have noticed, neither the Uno or Mega2560 are on there yet either... I have been having ftp issues so no updates recently. Hopefully this will all be sorted soon and I can get it all sorted.

You must be rather obsessive to do something like that, I have no idea why you'd go to so much trouble

;D It's nowhere near as good as your website... >:( ;)

Any chance you want to release the shell for what you did? Then I could do it properly (don't you even think about stealing that idea off me! ;D)

Mowcius

Any chance you want to release the shell for what you did?

Yes. My plan right from the start has been to put all the source up on GitHub, which is why I wrote it from scratch rather than basing it on an existing CMS. No license complications this way.

don't you even think about stealing that idea off me!

I think it's already been stolen, but not by me. I saw a spreadsheet on Google Docs or somewhere a couple of years ago that listed a heap of Arduino models (including derivatives) but I don't know where it is now.

Perhaps it makes sense to collaborate on it - I was just saying to someone on the weekend that I'm annoyed now that I picked a shield-specific URL, and it would have been smarter to do something that can cover both shields and boards.

Jon

I think it's already been stolen, but not by me. I saw a spreadsheet on Google Docs or somewhere a couple of years ago that listed a heap of Arduino models (including derivatives) but I don't know where it is now.

Well I was meaning something more specific to the kind of thing you have done (but for boards). I have only had my website up since the start of this year and I may have been influenced by that spreadsheet you found. Mowcius whistles :D

Perhaps it makes sense to collaborate on it - I was just saying to someone on the weekend that I'm annoyed now that I picked a shield-specific URL, and it would have been smarter to do something that can cover both shields and boards.

Collaboration sounds good :)

I sent you a PM ;)

Mowcius

Thanks everybody for the help!! :)