Difference between uint8_t and unint8_t*

Hello, I'm new to the forums, and my knowledge of c++, is very limited. But I was looking up information regarding pointers and address-of operators (&) and was wondering if this dealt with the objects I was looking at.

I'm using an Arduino uno with an adafruit NFC shield, and within the code there is a function called readPassiveTargetID.

The following link shows the parameters that are passed ( or retrieved?) from the IS014443A card.

The example code they give has the following format:

boolean success;
  uint8_t uid[] = { 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0 };  // Buffer to store the returned UID
  uint8_t uidLength;    
success = nfc.readPassiveTargetID(PN532_MIFARE_ISO14443A, &uid[0], &uidLength);

So I was wondering why they had &uidLength rather than just uidLength. Also 'uid' works just find instead of &uid[0].

When &uidLength is changed to uidLength I get the error:
Invalid conversion from 'uint8_t' to 'uint8_t*'

TLDR; I would just like to know the difference between uint8_t and the one with the asterisk at the end.

The* at the end means it is a pointer to a variable where as without the * it means it is just a variable.

Okay so then this leads to the question; what value (variable) is uint8_t* pointing to? The logic eludes me as to what is actually going on here.

I understand that the uidLength is being stored in the char byte uidLength variable but how is this happening?

Is it right to assume that uint8_t *uidLength parameter is telling the function to point the value from the read card to the address of uidLength by way of inputting '&uidLength'?

Reference for function parameters:

Also 'uid' works just find instead of &uid[0].

When you have an array, the variable is actually a pointer.

so This creates a char variable called x

char x="y";

BUT This reserves some space for 11 chars creates a char pointer called z that is initialised to point to that array

char z[11]="0123456789";

so if you have function that wants a char pointer and had implemented these two examples, you could pass
either &x (the address of the character 'y')
or
z (this is already holding the address of the character '0' so we don't need the &

This creates a char variable called x

Actually, that creates a compiler error.

PaulS:

This creates a char variable called x

Actually, that creates a compiler error.

Yep, should be single quotes.

Okay Thank you all for your replies, I was checking the Arduino site, and I was trying to look up how to reference and deference variables and it doesn't really have any information.

I tried making my own code to use the & referencing operator but didn't have any luck. So I'm assuming the x = &var, type of syntax doesn't work so simply using the Arduino sketch compiler? Is it correct to assume so?

If you want to understand pointers, you need to understand what a data definition (not declaration) really is. Take a look at:

NitroInferno:
I tried making my own code to use the & referencing operator but didn't have any luck. So I'm assuming the x = &var, type of syntax doesn't work so simply using the Arduino sketch compiler? Is it correct to assume so?

No I would not assume that. But to ask properly you need to post code that demonstrates what you are talking about.

I'll make one for you:

void setup ()
  {
  int var = 42;    // some variable
  int * x = &var;  // a pointer to that variable
  Serial.begin (115200);
  Serial.println ();
  Serial.println (*x);  // prints what x is pointing to
  }  // end of setup

void loop () { }

Output:

Ahh okay I see thanks Nick, what I was trying to do was somehow Serial.print the address of my variable to see if the &var syntax was working sort of like this:

void setup ()
 {
 int var = 42;    // some variable
 int * x = &var;  // a pointer to that variable
 Serial.begin (115200);
 Serial.println ();
 Serial.println (&var);  // prints what x is pointing to
 }  // end of setup

void loop () { }

I wanted to see if it could return the address of where my variable was stored(haven't been able to figure that out).

Throws an error: call of overloaded 'println(int*)' is ambiguous

Could you cast the address as an int or word and print that?

Ah yes! That worked! Strangely enough though, it only let's me cast address values to int it would seem (couldn't do double).

It's not particularly meaningful to cast an address (pointer) to a double. After all, an address is to an integral location, you don't get an address of 42.4321.

So I was wondering why they had &uidLength rather than just uidLength.

Back to your original question, the reason for that is that they wanted to return a length to the calling function.

By way of quick example, this code:

void foo (int a)
  {
  a = 20;
  }

void loop ()
  {
  int x = 42;
  foo (x);
  Serial.println (x);   // will print 42
  }

This is because "x" is passed by value, not by reference, in other words foo gets a copy of x, and thus cannot change it in a way that affects the calling function.

Meanwhile:

void foo (int * a)
  {
  *a = 20;
  }

void loop ()
  {
  int x = 42;
  foo (&x);   // pass a pointer to x
  Serial.println (x);   // will print 20
  }

Now by passing a pointer to x, the called function (foo) can alter it by dereferencing the pointer.

There is an alternative, and that is to pass by reference, like this:

void foo (int & a)
  {
  a = 20;
  }

void loop ()
  {
  int x = 42;
  foo (x);   
  Serial.println (x);   // will print 20
  }

Notice the subtly different syntax.