Different Batteries for Fio?

Hi, I was wondering if I can use a different battery other than a Li-Poly battery for the Arduino Funnel(Fio)? I am trying to power an Arduino with a lead-acid battery which is being recharged by a solar panel. My concern is my ability to safely charge a large Li-Poly battery with a solar panel over a time span of years. From what I understand, Li-Poly batteries can be fairly volatile without the proper circuitry, and I'm concerned that in my application, the battery would explode and be a safety hazard. Can a different battery be used? And if so, how does that affect the operation of the Fio?

For some reason with the Fio, if I just have a carbon zinc battery, 3V or 6V, touching the li-poly battery terminals, the Fio won't go on. If I do the same thing but have the mini usb for charging plugged into the computer, the charging light goes on for 3V but not 6V. My guess is that the fio is built for a li-poly battery which gives of a voltage of 3.7V (can be charged up to 4.2V) and will only turn on when the battery is within this voltage range. The thing I find odd is that in the specs for the fio, it mentions it can handle an input voltage(non-charging) of 3.35-12V. Should I be putting the input voltage somewhere else in order for the fio to turn on?(currently been testing with the + - sockets of the battery terminal)

Any help would be very coool 8-)

Thank You :D

*bump

Voltage is voltage, current is current, and what is an Arduino Funnel(Fio)?

what is an Arduino Funnel

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8957

an use a different battery other than a Li-Poly battery for the Arduino Funnel

Yes you should be able to power that from any battery. However charging a Li-Poly battery is a bit more tricky than a lead acid. See:- http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209187

how does that affect the operation of the Fio?

Shouldn't affect it at all.

if I just have a carbon zinc battery, 3V or 6V, touching the li-poly battery terminals, the Fio won't go on.

Why are you doing that, never connect batteries together as they try and charge / discharge each other. Also you mess with the source impedance which is probably stopping the voltage regulator from working.

Should I be putting the input voltage somewhere else in order for the fio to turn on?

no.