Difficult problem with serial output

I have an LCD which needs a clock which I am providing using the tone generator library but the tough part si that the LCD takes characters in terms of 8 bits clocked in from a serial to parallel IC that are lcd specific in that HLLH HLHL (High / Low) is a specific character not really that of ascii but of the designers own separate code. The serial out commands export ascii Right?? DO I have to make a table within the program and call up letters? IF so how do I accomplish this? I know the freq will be around 10khz I am stumped at how to represent the code correctly and get it to stream correctly

Thanks

The serial out commands export ascii Right??

Only if you tell it to. At the end of the day it is all just a bit pattern. Look at the various options in the print statement. If you chose the CHAR it will send out the bit pattern as is.

You haven't said what type of display you are using. Are you expecting the arduino to constantly refresh the display or does it have internal memory so that once you have sent stuff it stays on the display until you send more stuff.

DO I have to make a table within the program and call up letters? IF so how do I accomplish this?

You don't have to but it is one way. A look up table is simply an array. Define a byte array and have the index of the array be the ASCII input and the contents of the array the custom bit pattern. so that:- ValueToSend = lookUpArray[myASCIIvalue];

the LCD is the [u]VL-FS-MDLS20464D-41 REV. A[/u]. I was given one at work. I am still learning about it I seem to think that I have to keep refreshing it.

Thanks

Do you have a link to that device? Just underlining the name does not make it a hyperlink.

http://www.varitronix.com/Product/character/VL-FS-MDLS20464D-41.pdf

IC that are lcd specific in that HLLH HLHL (High / Low) is a specific character not really that of ascii but of the designers own separate code.

No the codes in this chip ARE ASCII, take the character '1' an ASCII value of 0x31 so the first nibble is 0011 or LLHH and the second nibble is 0001 or LLLH this is the same as the data sheet.

What you don't have is what controller is attached to the LCD chip, this will tell you what you have to write to the LCD.

What I understand is there are two issues: (1) How to state values of non-printable characters. This is done by the standard C technique: 0b1111000 or 0xF0 and when embedded in a string: "\xf0

(2) Using the asynchronous UART for synchronous data. This will most likely not work. Clock and data have to be synchronized for a SIPO. The method of choice here is using SHIFTOUT()

can you elaborate on the Shiftout() command?