Diffrence between ATMEGA 16u2 and 8u2 IC.

Hi, I purchased an Arduino ADK R3 and was going thru all the pin-out and IC. On the Hardware page of Arduino website it is mentioned that the ADK comes with either 8u2 or 16u2 IC. As far as I know, this IC is used for data communication between the board and USB.

I would mainly like to know what are the differences between the 16u2 IC ad the 8u2 IC. Also what are the other uses of it on this board??

Thankx in Advance :)

The 16u2 has more memory.

It may be used for both the USB-to-Serial conversion and the USB Host connection to the Android phone.

Thankx mate...

Also apart from the fact that it has got more memory, is the any major diff? And will this difference in memory cause any significant changes in the way it works?? like speed, etc.

Read this thread. http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,84190.0.html

On that thread I copied and pasted the info. you are asking about. Just look for my user on the thread.

mehtaatur: Also apart from the fact that it has got more memory, is the any major diff? And will this difference in memory cause any significant changes in the way it works?? like speed, etc.

No. It is common for ATmel to make variants within a family whose only difference is memory sizes. E.G. ATmega168 and ATmega328 ...

From an Arduino point-of-view, it makes no difference at all what chip is there. As long as it provides a USB to Serial functionality.

Thankx 2 all. :) Info was helpful in clearing my doubts.