DigiSpark External Oscillator

Hello,

I am trying to set up a PJON SoftwareBitBang network with a bunch of DigiSpark. My setup works well with any other Arduino devices except the DigiSparks. Based on some internet searching I came to the conclusion that it’s because DigiSpark doesn’t have a built in oscillator.

I bough a bunch of 16Mhz Crystal Oscillators hoping the internet will help me set them up but I couldn’t find any resources on how to do that

Does anyone know any resources on how to use an external oscillator on DigiSpark?
Alternatively, can anyone think of any other reason why SoftwareBitBank goesn’t work with Digisparks?

Thanks,
Andi

I bough a bunch of 16Mhz Crystal Oscillators hoping the internet will help me set them up but I couldn't find any resources on how to do that

Don't spend your money on a "hope". Ask first. Otherwise you are no different to all the other on-line gamblers! :wink:

I should also warn you that while you may consider this a different question to your previous posts, the forum moderators may not agree and might decide to merge them or even ban you temporarily from the forum for cross-posting, which is against the forum rules. I expect they will give you the "benefit of the doubt" this time, but please don't take that for granted.

I think the protocol should tolerate some clock error. On Digispark adding a crystal will ruin the USB functionality.

IIRC digispark clock is tuned to 16.5MHz when connected to USB but left at 16MHz when no USB is present - maybe it can cause the communication problems?

Um. What would you expect to do with an 8pin processor, once you use two pins for power, two pins for USB, two pins for a crystal, and at least one pin for PJON?

@Smajdalf - I can't think of any other reason for which this wouldn't work. I've seen examples online with PJON SofwareBitBang using ATTiny85 and an oscillator so that's how I deducted this would be the problem. Can you think of anything else then?

@westfw - The DigiSpark would be part of a network. Each Spark would read a sensor and send the data. So I need one pin for PJON, one for analog read and two for oscillator. I only need USB to program it and once it's done I don't need it anymore.

@PaulRB - Thanks for the warning. I actually thought that the topics are quite different ("How to make a bus" vs "How to install an oscilloscope" so the only reason I created a new one was to respect he guidelines.

Thanks,
Andi

andistancu:
I actually thought that the topics are quite different ("How to make a bus" vs "How to install an oscilloscope")

You must be getting confused, Andi. Your previous topic was titled "BUS over one (fiber optic) wire" and nothing to do whatsoever with oscilloscopes.