Digital Control panel for an old Air conditioner

Hey guys,
I have a very old air conditioner, that still works well, but does not have any timer options, remote control, and temperature settings. So I am planning to add these features to it with the help of Arduino and few other sensors like IR, temperature sensor.

First of all, I want to switch my A/C on and off using an ir remote control. I receive a 3-phase 220V supply at my home(India). The A/C supply is first given to a stabilizer and then given to the A/C. I see that i need to use a relay to on and off the supply. But what should be the current rating of the relay?
My stabilizer says, it has a capacity of 12A.

Pls help me out in choosing in the relay for the project!

Thanks in advance!

You say you have 3 phase, but is the A/C single phase?

If single phase a solid state relay rated at least 20A (40A better) would work.

Weedpharma

There are kits available on eBay & aliexpress which will add IR remote control to existing AC units. Maybe the best & safest approach.

Otherwise, if you don't know enough to figure out how to select the correct relay, then you probably shouldn't be 'tinkering' with this. Seriously! Get an experienced & qualified local electrician involved.

DANGER: Mains electricity can kill!

weedpharma:
You say you have 3 phase, but is the A/C single phase?

If single phase a solid state relay rated at least 20A (40A better) would work.

Weedpharma

I think the air conditioner is single phase only! I see only phase, neutral and earth going from the stabilizer to the unit!

Also, how easy is it to work with arduino and solid state relays? Are they similar to the standard, mechanical ones used for small projects?

Yes its the same.