Digital Input Read time

I want to integrate a voice recognition module that allows me to output a series of pulses with whatever duty cycle I designate, along with whatever time span I want. I elect to go with a 50% duty cycle, what is the minimum time my Arduino would need to reliably receive every pulse? I was planning on going with 10 ms pulse width, but could I even make the pulse width shorter?

What sort of signal are you receiving? Why wouldn't you use serial?

You can definitely monitor signals happening faster than 100hz, but what do you want to do? Time the pulses? Count the pulses? Something else?

Thanks DrAzzy, for your interest in my concern. I am using the input to count pulses. I am technically using it for serial communication. For my limited understanding of serial communication and programming, I thought it would be easier to send over a specified number of pulses (which would correspond to a specific function) and then have the arduino call a function after a certain number of pulses are sent. I was also going to have a second input which would essentially be an “enable”. When the enable goes high, the arduino would know it was time to count. When the “enable” went low the arduino would know that the series of pulses had stopped. The reason I asked the question was I figured the faster I could interpret pulses, the faster I could make this one way serial communication method work. Then my arduino could respond faster to the information sent. I haven’t exactly thought about the way the code would be constructed yet, but I was debating as to whether or not to use an interrupt for the “enable” pin since this microcontrollers most important job would be interpreting commands from the voice recognition module. I wouldn’t want it to miss any of the pulses. I know there are probably more established ways to do what I am trying to do, but I was thinking that by thinking it through in a very rudimentary way I would gain more from the experience and hopefully when I eventually come across the methods already established, I would find them easier to work with and implement into my next project. (if you are an experienced electrical engineer, I know you are probably chuckling at my naive approach :grin: )