Digital read out(DRO) using a philips DRO case

Hello everybody I'm new here and looking for advice on my project

I want to build a digital read out system using as many parts as possible from a philips 2500 series dro system . for the first stage i want to be able to see if i can use the interfase on the case . It has: 33 keys (want to use at least 22) and a on off switch 4 rows with 4 dual 7segments leds an 1 row with 2 dual 7 segments leds I was wandering if could control all those 7segments leds and keys with one arduino(uno/mega)?

for the second stage I want to see if i can use the phillips glass scales. I know they are 12 volt but have not found much more info on them.

For the third stage I want to intergrate stage 1 and 2 and make a working dro for my AI hemburg mini mill.

the questions i have for stage 1 are are which arduino should i use ? and should 1 use 1 or more of them ? are there special ic's that i can buy to use between the arduino and the seven segments leds? (I found a maxim 6955 but no online dealer in europe/netherlands )

I hope you guys/girls can help me because I'm not much of a electronics guy.

Thanks why metal

What is a philips 2500 series dro ? A google search shows only your post as looking anything relevant. Do you have a link to it?

A philips 2500 series are a digitqal read out system for lathes and mills from the 80's( i think ). They were used to display the position of your cutter . Sorry no link I could not find any info on the net either.

Grumpy_Mike: What is a philips 2500 series dro ? A google search shows only your post as looking anything relevant. Do you have a link to it?

Well with that vintage the electronics should be hackable. I would have thought your best bet was to disconnect as much as possible from the original and use them to wire up directly or through drivers to the arduino.

Took de display/keyboard board apart from the rest of the rest of the of the electronic-boards . There are: 5 ULN2003N 8231 S which seem to connect to the dual seven segments displays 2 P8279-5 from intel which are programmable keyboard /display ic's (http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/66112/INTEL/P8279-5.html) 3 8236a sn74ls373n from TI portugal they are OCTAL D-TYPE TRANSPARENT LATCHES AND EDGE-TRIGGERED FLIP-FLOPS ( http://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/pdf/28021/TI/SN74LS373N.htm) 2 off them seem to be connected to leds next to the keys 2 HEF 4514BD HRH305R1 they are 1-of-16 decoder/demultiplexer ic fom philips/nxp(http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/17749/PHILIPS/HEF4514BD.html) 2 74LS138N 8226 S 1 74LS02N E8246 SA 18 MAN6940 311 F Q3502 dual 7 segments displays with common cathode (http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/QT/MAN6960.pdf) 14 pins connection that goes to the keys 26 wire flat cable with female connector When I look at the datasheets I get the feeling that this board does not run on 5 volt that the Arduino runs on. How do you hook up a Arduino to a board that uses higher voltage?

How do you hook up a Arduino to a board that uses higher voltage?

You can't if a higher voltage is needed then you have to arrange transistors to drive the outputs. However, 2 74LS138N 8226 S 1 74LS02N E8246 SA and 5 ULN2003N 8231 S Are defiantly 5V devices or can be driven by 5V.

You might be right . In the datasheet for the HEF4514BD data which use 5 , 10 and 15 volt Vdd as a supply voltage. I thought of that: it needs 5, 10 and 15 volt power but now I think it means it can use 5 , 10 or 15 volt as supply voltage. Still have to make decision on which arduino board I should buy .The Arduino Uno doesn't seem to have enough io pins. So that leaves the mega and its clones or a illuminato genesis. Do I need the higher memory of the mega 2560 and the illuminato to control everything?

You can't if a higher voltage is needed then you have to arrange transistors to drive the outputs. However, 2 74LS138N 8226 S 1 74LS02N E8246 SA and 5 ULN2003N 8231 S Are defiantly 5V devices or can be driven by 5V.

but now I think it means it can use 5 , 10 or 15 volt as supply voltage.

Yes and in fact any voltage between the two extremes.

The Arduino Uno doesn't seem to have enough io pins.

You can always use port expanders or shift registers.

Am I wrong in thinking that the use of shift registers and port expanders would complicate the programming?

Here is a picture of the keyboard and display/interface board I want to use

Only slightly, it's either that or a Mega or don't do what you want.