Dimming LED Strip w/ Arduino & MOSFET

So I've been a programmer for quite some time, but really only just started dabbling in electronics, so bear with me if my question is stupid. I've done quite some research, and I think I have the correct layout for my project.

Yeah I still need to learn how to make proper schematics... Anyway this is how I'm planning to wire everything up. Really just looking for confirmation that the design is correct, since this is my first ever project.

From what I've seen, there should be some resistors somewhere? I just can't seem to figure out where, and why they should be there. So if anyone could help with an explanation on that, that would be amazing.

[u]Herei is a MOSFET driver schematic[/u]

That link describes the purpose of the resistors. You can leave-out the diode since you have a non-inductive load.

The two most important things are:

1. Use a logic level MOSFET. These will turn full-on with the 5V output from the Arduino. A "regular" MOSFET needs a higher gate voltage so it won't turn fully-on and it will overheat.

2. The MOSFET should be rated for at least the current required by the LED strip(s). Leave some safety margin, and in some cases you'll need a heatsink. (A good rule-of-thumb is, if it's too hot to touch you need a heatsink.)

So I've been a programmer for quite some time, but really only just started dabbling in electronics

Of course, run the [u]Fade Example[/u] with a regular LED and then when you're sure the Arduino & software are working, add the MOSFET/LED strip (Leave the regular LED & resistor in place until you're sure the hardware is OK.

I don't know the allowed current for Your LED strip but I strongly think You need current limiting resistors betwen led-strip - and the transistor d.
Value ought to be ( 12 - led-strip forward voltage ) divided by the desired current. Most likely You don't att all need to use maximum current. Current measured in Apms, 0,0xx, where xx is milliAmps.
You might need a resistor between controller pin gpio and transistor g. That depends on the type of transistor.

No, you don't use extra resistors for LED strips.
Non-addressable LED strips already have the resistors fitted on each "section of three LEDs" on the strip.
And addressable strips have the current limiting inside the LED chip.
Use the first diagram in the link of post#1 for common non-addressable strips.
Post a link to the LED strip you have if you're not sure.
Leo..

@Wawa. Thanks!

Thank you for the answer! Knew there were probably some things I was missing. Will look into the links you've given me, thanks