direct wiring an arduino chip

even the tiny85 boards have a few components around. usb port, voltage regulator, resistors...

question is, could one wire the chip directly to control leds without any of the supporting components? after all clock and everything is internal. it would allow me to make siimple led trinckets.

one data pin and 2 power leads would be all the wiring needed...

if i put a 5v usb supply or similar, it should not require regulation... right?

You always need decoupling capacitors.

true. but is that all?

if i use electrolytics, they would also be separate, not on a pre made board, and only for power, so there's not yet a mess of components needed around the IC.

Don't forget that you want to program the controller, sooner or later.

Hi, And current limit resistors for the LEDs.

Tom... :)

sonyhome: even the tiny85 boards have a few components around. usb port, voltage regulator, resistors...

question is, could one wire the chip directly to control leds without any of the supporting components? after all clock and everything is internal. it would allow me to make siimple led trinckets.

one data pin and 2 power leads would be all the wiring needed...

if i put a 5v usb supply or similar, it should not require regulation... right?

Program with fuses set to run on internal oscillator, power, GROUND, decoupling cap on the chip and it runs. If you want a data pin you also need a ground wire to go with it.

You can pick and choose options to be more or less full Arduino, here's a howto on minimal breadboard duinos: http://www.gammon.com.au/breadboard

goforsmoke, thanks.

Now i need to understand how to program the chip without a bootloader i suppose. answer => https://app.box.com/s/ol1z8jjnrpy6wly4w61imt7wcbxk3fcg

i suspect putting an attiny or an atmega328 on a board won't allow me to upload on it via the usb since there wont be any code to bootstrap the ic, and i'll need an actual programmer. answer => yes.

is there sockets for 328 smt chips i could use to program it or is it pretty much not programmable until it is soldered on a board? answer => tqfp32 test socket $45, or breakout board, for $2 on ebay

The bootloader is used to let the chip load programs through serial but you can load programs the same way you loaded the bootloader which is a program, using ICSP.

I thought that Nick had covered that.

ATtiny is covered by MIT High-Low Tech