Disable Ethernet

Can the ethernet nic be shut down via command line or sketch? I want to be able to make it blink a switches link light for testing.

@Tubular,
yes, you can shutdown the ethernet from the command line.

Note, you can control some of the LEDs on the YUN from the command line as well. Read this:
Arduino Yun LEDs

Jesse

jessemonroy650:
Note, you can control some of the LEDs on the YUN from the command line as well.

I don't think he's looking to blink the LEDs on the Yun. It sounds like he wants to turn the Yun into a piece of test equipment where connecting it to a switch it causes the Ethernet link light on the switch to blink. I'm guessing this to make it easier to trace wiring connections? (Plug it into some unknown port, and see which switch port is affected, eliminating the need to trace wire paths and patch panel connections?)

So I guess the real question is two-fold: how to disable/enable the ethernet port, and will doing so cause corresponding status changes to the link light on the far end of the cable?

Of course, there is always the chance that I'm misunderstanding the intent...

ShapeShifter:
I don’t think he’s looking to blink the LEDs on the Yun. It sounds like he wants to turn the Yun into a piece of test :::SNIP:::

@ShapeShifter,
truthfully, there is not a lot information there. Many of the forums I’m on have the OPs become secretive as to the goal of their project. I suspect some VC, magazine article, etc has spook developers in to being secretive for no effectively good reason.

On this post, I suspect someone new that reacts to immediate input and sometimes slams the wall with an idea. Nothing wrong with that - i’d just like to the feedback on this one.

Best to All
Jesse

I can assure I have no VC. Just trying to make a simple lan tester, there are testers that do such a thing but they cost far more than a yun and Im also looking for an excuse to buy a yun.

tubular:
I can assure I have no VC. Just trying to make a simple lan tester, there are testers that do such a thing but they cost far more than a yun and Im also looking for an excuse to buy a yun.

@tubular,
an excellent idea. You can also use it to test some wifi connections. Let us know, if you need any help.
Jesse