Discussion about "What is Scope?"

Original thread: What is Scope?

This thread is for discussions about the above thread.

Boardburner2:
Good thread this , can it be pinned, possibly could we have a pinned conf to include Robins do lots of things at once thread.

Haven't you noticed that that was already requested (by me) and done? Same for Robin2's (again at my request).

Sorry no.

I was under the impression that only two pins could be used.

I have sen many posts in the past that i wish i could find again, can you give a link to what i am missing please ?

@Robin: I did not know that. I tried compiling a second file named SquareIt.cpp after defining val in the first (main) file. It has val defined as a global. I got the undefined error I expected. However, I then started over and renamed the second file SquareIt.ino and it compiled without error.

Not that I have a choice, but I don't know how I feel about this. Just goes to show you, even though I have a bucket of dirt next to me bragging that he's two years older than me, you're never too old to learn something new. Sorry for the confusion on this in the narrative above.

econjack:
Sorry for the confusion on this in the narrative above.

I was not confused. I just assumed you had missed one of the quirks of the Arduino IDE.

Perhaps I found it because I am not good at C/C++ programming
The ignorant usually ask the best questions :slight_smile:

...R

PaulS:
Haven't you noticed that that was already requested (by me) and done? Same for Robin2's (again at my request).

Do you know, I had not noticed that Serial Input Basics had been elevated to a sticky. Thanks for your recommendation.

...R

@econojack
Suggestion, put the whole discussion into a PDF in post #1.
Maintain the PDF as needed.

I was thinking along the lines of having a read only pinned topic where links to the thread could be posted,

Possibly Robin could edit them into his post #1.

LarryD:
Suggestion, put the whole discussion into a PDF in post #1.

I am NOT in favour of putting stuff in a PDF rather than in a POST - but there is no reason not to have a PDF as well as the POSTS. However I think it would be troublesome to maintain two versions.

Boardburner2:
I was thinking along the lines of having a read only pinned topic where links to the thread could be posted,

Possibly Robin could edit them into his post #1.

I don't understand your Posts in this Thread. Consequently I don't know why I am being singled out. And I don't know what you mean by my "post #1" - can you post a link to it?

...R

Robin2:
Consequently I don't know why I am being singled out. And I don't know what you mean by my "post #1" - can you post a link to it?

...R

The pinned one here

Not trying to single you out.

Just trying to find a way of finding reference threads.

There have been many useful general posts in the past which i know i have seen but find difficult to track down.

I was hoping to find some way of storing them so they are readily available.

Other forums i have seen had the option of pinning more than 2 threads.

EDIT

A topic called NOTABLE POSTS.

Entries below that with title such as How to do xyz and then a link to the relevant origional thread where it was discussed..

Probably needs to be read only.

Maintaining 2 things can be a bother.

PDFs are great as everything is in one place and can be accessed off line.

After downloading, you control your PDF copy.
I have seen links to good information: deleted and WEB sites close down.
It is always nice to have a link at the top of the PDF where the original discussion can be found.

I guess a user can always create their own PDF from the posting, but I believe good reference material should be maintained by the originator.
Often good reference material is found scattered throughout a thread which makes things hard to follow.

I think it's about time we had a dedicated forum FAQ section.

Yes.

FAQ would be better than notable posts.

AWOL:

Yes

LarryD:
Often good reference material is found scattered throughout a thread which makes things hard to follow.

Again though quoting Robins example, he has put the main information in his first two posts.

It was suggested he do that.

PDFs are great

PDFs suck. Having to download a file instead of reading data online is not conducive to maintaining control over content.

It should be possible to create stickies that are editable by only the original poster or a moderator. That would keep people from tacking on useless replies that have nothing to do with the topic (such as this one).

PDFs suck.

Well, lets get rid of all books too and just have the internet.

. . . (such as this one)
Agreed.

There are things I don't like about PDF's, too. Mostly it has to do with cut-and-paste difficulties and file size. While there are public domain PDF writers, I'd prefer to use Open Office and the DOC format. It just seems easier to me, as that's what I use for all my writing.

AWOL:

+1
With the caveat that the answers should be limited to a few short paragraphs, and some links. So it doesn't turn into Lord of the Rings.

LarryD:
It was suggested he do that.

When ?
Before I wrote the Tutorial ? (I don't think so).

Boardburner2:
Just trying to find a way of finding reference threads.

I bookmark stuff I think may be useful in future. And I bookmark all the Threads I create.

I suspect if there is a Forum "list" of goodies it will be too long to be useful. The essence of Google's success was its ability to put the useful things on the first page of results.

PaulS:
PDFs suck. Having to download a file instead of reading data online is not conducive to maintaining control over content.

It should be possible to create stickies that are editable by only the original poster or a moderator. That would keep people from tacking on useless replies that have nothing to do with the topic (such as this one).

I agree with all of that.

AWOL:

Only if someone is tasked with managing it. If everyone can edit it or add to it then it will just become another section of the Forum and there are too many already. (Volunteers take one step backwards).

...R