Display Arduino inputs on a Webserver (NOT the Ethernet sheild)

I currently have a web server running a local page for our company and want to incorporate dry contact alarms into the website so that we can see when doors are left open. I currently have it functioning as I want it to over the Arduino Ethernet shield web server, but I would like to have it displayed on the web server I am already running.

So, if I was to plug the Arduino into the webserver, how would I go about pulling the dry contact states from the Arduino and displaying them on the website? It is a Windows box running Apache, but I am also setting up a Linux LAMP box that will be easier to work with remotely.

I would also like to have it talk to an IM service such as Google Talk, and have it notify anyone on the friends list when doors are opened and closed between 12 pm and 5 am. I think that this will get a little complicated and It isn't a big deal if I am able to do this or not, but if anyone has some ideas to get this rolling it would be great.

Thanks, Taylor.

but I would like to have it displayed on the web server I am already running.

The script that provides that page could access the Arduino web server to get the data.

So, if I was to plug the Arduino into the webserver, how would I go about pulling the dry contact states from the Arduino and displaying them on the website?

If the Arduino is directly connected to the web server, there is no reason for the Arduino to wear an ethernet shield. Then, it becomes a simple matter of the web server machine running an application that talks to the Arduino over the serial port.

a simple matter of the web server machine running an application that talks to the Arduino over the serial port

I agree that this is the “way to go”. “Simple matter…” is not everyone who hasn’t already done this before would necessarily agree with! <^_^>

For help on connecting the Arduino to the server, so that the latter can be told the state of the contacts, see…

http://sheepdogguides.com/arduino/ahttoc.htm/art4SeIntro.htm

(Written in Delphi terms… but many general issues covered.)