Displaying the frequency spectrum waveform of an MP3 through MIDI?

Hello,

For my project I am creating my very own DIY MIDI DJ mixer.

I will be using this instructable to create my mixing board;

Here is an image of what my board will theoretically look like along with the music mixing software I will be using (Traktor);

I was curious if I would be able to implement an audio spectrum analyzer (such as the one below) to my mixer board.

Here is a link to a video of the audio spectrum analyzer;

The mixing board will have to be connected to a computer with a music mixing software such as Traktor.

If I understand correctly, the microcontroller I'll be using wont be processing the audio. The microcontroller will be using it's I/O pins to control the functions in the music mixing software.

So my question is;

Can I retrieve the frequency of the mp3 file being played on the software without using a microphone?

I was wondering if there was any way that the frequency being displayed can come straight from the mp3 file through MIDI.

I hope this makes sense.

Thank you.

-Kevin

belae1ka:
So my question is;

Can I retrieve the frequency of the mp3 file being played on the software without using a microphone?

I was wondering if there was any way that the frequency being displayed can come straight from the mp3 file through MIDI.

Traktor doesn't do that as far as I'm aware (I've been using Traktor for quite a few years now).

You might be able to find a VST/AU plugin that will give you an on-screen analyser, so it's not inconceivable that you'll find one that will let you pipe the data out somewhere else. Traktor doesn't natively host plugins but there are workarounds for that.

I'm not aware of a standardised way to send spectrum analyser data over MIDI, but I don't suppose it would be too hard to encode it e.g. using a CC# per channel.

So yeah, there's no easy way but you might be able to hack something together. Not sure it'd do much for Traktor's stability so I don't know if this is a wise way to proceed.

It might be easier to get a couple of MSGEQ7 chips and analyse the analogue signal on the way out to the amplifier.

Thank you very much GypsumFantastic

I did a spectrumn analyzer using winamp plugin, maybe take interest...

more info in my blog:

http://dinoelectro.blogspot.com/2017/05/construya-un-analizador-de-espectro-con.html?m=1

Here is youtube video

sorry i dont speak english ....

Greetings!