Displaying Unicode Characters on an OLED display using the SSD1306 lib

Hey everyone,

I am currently working on my autonomous driving car using some components I had lying around. Everything works so far and I wanted to display some live data from all sensors (for example an indicator for the measured distance to an object, current speed, average speed, current drive mode, etc.). I am using a 0.91 inch 128x32 OLED display with the Adafruit GFX and SSD1306 libraries and I got everything working except for the Unicode characters (for example the average sign 'Ø' for the average speed).

I am pretty new to programming and computer science in general. I understand that there are several character encodings like UTF-8, UTF-16, etc. but I don't know which one the SSD1306 library uses and how I print them properly. For the 'Ø' character there are different encodings like Unicode, Unicode binary, Unicode hexadecimal, decimal, HTML decimal, HTML hex.

This means all these encodings can be used to print the Unicode character, right? Which one do I need to use or which one is accepted by the library?

I tried copy and pasting the character like display.print("Ø");, i tried using the encodings display.print("\x0x2300"); //hexadecimal but it always shows either nothing at all or some different characters.

Any help would be appreciated!

The characters are encoded somewhere in an array. Unless the "special character" you are asking is part of that font file, the library won't be able to show it.

The font files for the library is in here

Open one of the files and you will see what a "font" file looks like and how a "character" is represented