Distance sensor (ultrasound) water / dirt resistant for car.

Hi,

i want to build something like a park distance control. The problem with the popular cheap sensors like HC-SR04 is that they will get wet or dirt will fill them when i look at the pictures.

When i look at the pdk´s you can buy at ebay or what car manufactt. use, they got closed housings (or at least very small gaps). Also im wondering about the fact that they have both reciver and sening unit in one housing. First i thought one sends all the time and one recives. But even the HC-SR04 seems to send and wait for signal, but why 2 sensors on the board?

I found some 14C01 sensors or USTR40-14A. But im not sure if they work.

Maby you can get me some advice, i found a mass of tutorials but only with these popular sensors that already have circuits and are not water/dirtproofed

thx :)

dertester: Hi,

i want to build something like a park distance control. The problem with the popular cheap sensors like HC-SR04 is that they will get wet or dirt will fill them when i look at the pictures.

When i look at the pdk´s you can buy at ebay or what car manufactt. use, they got closed housings (or at least very small gaps). Also im wondering about the fact that they have both reciver and sening unit in one housing. First i thought one sends all the time and one recives. But even the HC-SR04 seems to send and wait for signal, but why 2 sensors on the board?

I found some 14C01 sensors or USTR40-14A. But im not sure if they work.

Maby you can get me some advice, i found a mass of tutorials but only with these popular sensors that already have circuits and are not water/dirtproofed

thx :)

Is this for parking in a garage? If so, instead of putting the sensor on the car, you can put a HC-SR04 in the garage.

Or, are you wanting to make backup sensors? Maybe a detailed example of what you're trying to do so we can better help.

Tim

I just started with arduino and in general i want to try different things.

But the goal would be to make a park assistant for the car. Thats why they should be at least resistant ...

Im not sure if its possibile to communicate with the sensors directly without the board that for example the HC-SR0X variants have.

/EDIT

I have 4 ultrasonic sensors here from an old bot (cybot). And i found this : http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Main/UltrasonicSensor

I try if i can get these to work, but im not sure if i need a resistor or something to connect the sensors?