DmxSimple.h Not Found

I want to use the DmxSimple library for my project.
The install instructions from the Tinkerit site say…

“Download the archive. Extract to (arduino install)/hardware/libraries/DmxSimple”

I’d expect the library to be in “(arduino install)/libraries/DmxSimple” and not the “hardware” folder so extracted there
Added “#include <DmxSimple.h>” to the top of my sketch, but when I “verify” the code I get…
“DmxSimple.h: No such file or directory”

So, as per the instructions, I create “(arduino install)/hardware/libraries/DmxSimple” but still get…
“DmxSimple.h: No such file or directory”

Where have I gone wrong?

Did you do it while the IDE was loaded?

The libraries are read once when the IDE loads, so you have to close it and re-open it to get it to see the new library.

The instructions on that site are wrong. User-downloaded libraries do NOT go in the core library folder.

In the folder where you store your sketches, there is a libraries folder, where user-downloaded libraries go.

If the libraries folder isn't there, it doesn't take a great deal of imagination to figure out what to do. No, putting the library in the core library folder isn't it.

In the folder where you store your sketches, there is a libraries folder, where user-downloaded libraries go.

There isn't a "libraries" folder, so I create one. Close my sketch and open it again, "DmxSimple.h: No such file or directory"

Does "...the folder where you store your sketches" need to be a particular location relative to the installed Arduino folder?

I create a folder "libraries" in the folder where all my sketches are and copy the "DmxSimple" library folder there... "DmxSimple.h: No such file or directory" I create a folder "libraries" in the folder where individual sketch is and copy the "DmxSimple" library folder there... "DmxSimple.h: No such file or directory"

The next step, then, is to post a link to "the tinkerit site" where you are downloading the library from.

A mention of your OS might be useful.

Fixed it... nested folders!

http://arduino.cc/en/Guide/Libraries explains it nicely.

This works... "My Documents\Arduino\libraries\DmxSimple"

This does not work... "My Documents\Arduino\libraries\DmxSimple\DmxSimple"

Tinkerit's .zip DMX library file comes as "DmxSimple\DmxSimple" which was the source of the confusion.

Tinkerit's .zip DMX library file comes as "DmxSimple\DmxSimple" which was the source of the confusion.

If they have any "contact us" type link, let them know.

PaulS:

If they have any "contact us" type link, let them know.

Chances are, it's windows at fault.

The default extract functionality extracts a zip file into a folder named after the zip file, so extracting DmxSimple.zip would first make a folder DmxSimple, then extract the contents of the zip file into it.