Do analog pins have a PWM output that I can use for my LEDs or is it real analog

I have heard the arduinos analog outputs are PWM signals simulating variable voltages by changing the duty cycles, rather than an actual varied voltage. I haven't seen this specifically addressed in the sources I've read and I don't have an oscilloscope to verify.

I find myself in need of more PWM outputs to control my 4 RGB LEDs. My Nano has 6 digital PWMs and 8 analogs, leaving room for two control potentiometers. If I can use those analog pins as PWMs, that would work out perfectly!

I have considered using an IC for expanding my outputs, I have some TLC5940s, but I'm using several LEDs in parallel and it wouldn't be able to handle the current without transistors. I have limited space on my board, so it's ether transistors or IC, not both. I don't have time to order the right ICs and transistors, I'm stuck working with what I have because of my tight project deadline.

Will I be able to use the analogs as PWMs? If not, I plan on using what I think is called bit banging to make up for the lack of PWMs.

OK, here we go.

A Nano uses (almost) the same chip as a UNO.

There are six available PWM pins among the 14 general digital pins, but with only three timers, there are limitations on how many you can use simultaneously. There is no DAC function.

There are also six more digital I/O pins referred to as "A0" to "A5" which do not have PWM functionality, but can be used as inputs to the multiplexer for the single 10 bit ADC. On the SMD chip version used in the Nano and Pro Mini, there also two more inputs to the ADC multiplexer, "A6" and "A7". These are however not digital pins.

OK? :grinning:

Look for the soft PWM library.