Do I need an Arduino for this?

Hey all,

I’ve done a few Arduino projects in my day, and I love it. I’ve built an LED display matrix and used motion sensors / rfids to control H-Bridge driven motors.

Now, I know that I need Arduino to program the LED matrix, but I wonder if I even need them for simpler projects? For example, I have a H/L (high/low bit output) motion sensor and a vibrating motor. Could I use just a power switch, a battery, the motion sensor, and the motor? I don’t need a PIC for this type of project right? I can just power the motion sensor and use it functionally as a switch/transistor to trigger the vibrating motor? It makes sense in my head, but I just need some verification. Or if I need random resistors or something.

Thanks!

To me it sound like you CAN use an Arduino for your project but you don't NEED to use one.

What you've written about motion sensor, vibrating motor and switches is true, but in this combination I don't see any sense in the project (vibrate if I get motion). If you describe your project in a bit more detail the forum may help you more.

Thanks for your interest in my silly little project.

The problem I'm trying to solve is that my cat scratches on the door at night sometimes. I was hope that this would frighten her away when she approaches. I basically wanted something I could jam into a little (1") enclosure that would rattle when there's motion. Thought this might do the trick.

The thing about using a processor like the arduino is that you can change the behavior of a system without getting out the soldering iron. So yes you can do it without a processor but it becomes a lot more flexible with one. For example you can make the responding noise longer the more often the scratch is detected in a period of time. Or make it a random length, or what ever you can think of.

Grumpy_Mike: The thing about using a processor like the arduino is that you can change the behavior of a system without getting out the soldering iron. So yes you can do it without a processor but it becomes a lot more flexible with one. For example you can make the responding noise longer the more often the scratch is detected in a period of time. Or make it a random length, or what ever you can think of.

That makes sense. But if I wanted to do / try a 1:1 motion:vibration connection, I could do it with just those parts and no additional resistors and/or capacitors? It would be a good basic circuits exercise for me.

I'd say an Arduino is well usable for this kind of job :-).

In my experience though (my girl-friend has some cats) rattling is not holding away cats. The only thing that always worked(for me) was water. Make the cat wet a little bit and she will escape immediately. I don't know if this fits the environment in your house though.

pylon: I'd say an Arduino is well usable for this kind of job :-).

In my experience though (my girl-friend has some cats) rattling is not holding away cats. The only thing that always worked(for me) was water. Make the cat wet a little bit and she will escape immediately. I don't know if this fits the environment in your house though.

I agree - I was just trying to make something compact (and cheap!). I have an extra Arduino, but I have something else in mind for it.

You're right about the rattling as it pertains to cats. I'll try it anyway. If it doesn't work, I'm going to try a fan next. Cats hate wind in the face.

For the life of me, I cannot find any low-volume DC water pumps. If you have any sources, please post them here.

For the life of me, I cannot find any low-volume DC water pumps. If you have any sources, please post them here.

I used to hang with a bunch of pranksters, so I know of pretty good 12vdc (automotive) water pumps. The pump that powers the windshield washers on a car work good for squirting down passing pedestrians. I bet cats won't like it either. :D

Freddicus: For the life of me, I cannot find any low-volume DC water pumps. If you have any sources, please post them here.

I've been very pleased with a brushless immersible water pump from Chinese supplier Faymo. It's tiny but solidly made and runs on anything from 3.5-12V and 65mA-500mA and is almost silent when submerged. It only cost a few quid, and if you don't mind waiting for a few weeks for somebody to swim over from China I think it's great for a small pump suitable to be controlled by Arduino.

PeterH:

Freddicus: For the life of me, I cannot find any low-volume DC water pumps. If you have any sources, please post them here.

I've been very pleased with a brushless immersible water pump from Chinese supplier Faymo. It's tiny but solidly made and runs on anything from 3.5-12V and 65mA-500mA and is almost silent when submerged. It only cost a few quid, and if you don't mind waiting for a few weeks for somebody to swim over from China I think it's great for a small pump suitable to be controlled by Arduino.

Do you have a link, Good Sir? Or do I literally have to swim to China. :)

Don't have a link to hand, but they sell on ebay.co.uk and you should find them easily enough.