Do I need the Arduino Motor Shield For My Project

So i'm very new to arduinos and I am planning to buy one but while I was looking through a store's page I saw the Arduino Motor Shield. What I want to do is to build a rc drone from an arduino but I am unsure if I need the motor shield to power the propellers. Could someone please explain to me whether or not I need the shield or to build my own board to go with the ardunio or if the uno itself will be enough to control drone propellers (there will be 4 propellers).

You never NEED a shield, you can always build a functional equivalent yourself. The question is, do you know how to? (you should if you're considering building a drone). Another thing against shields is the current limits, which may or may not be an issue for your drone.

For a drone, weight and size are usually a big issue, and both the shields and the Uno they go with are not built with those issues in mind. I'd probably try to do away with the whole Arduino and just use the ATmega processor with whatever external components needed to make it all work, crammed as closely together as possible on a PCB - the Arduino itself being for development only.

PyxelTNT: So i'm very new to arduinos and I am planning to buy one but while I was looking through a store's page I saw the Arduino Motor Shield. What I want to do is to build a rc drone from an arduino but I am unsure if I need the motor shield to power the propellers. Could someone please explain to me whether or not I need the shield or to build my own board to go with the ardunio or if the uno itself will be enough to control drone propellers (there will be 4 propellers).

The first question you have to ask BEFORE deciding on what sort of hardware you are going to use to drive your motors, is what kind of motors will you be using. If you're using brushed motors then you need a very different sort of driver than if you are using brushless motors.