Do I need this expensive wifi componant (PHPoC)

I want to make servos controllable from a webpage and am a bit lost in the choices. PHPoC is expensive, ESP8266 is cheap and Arduino wifi boards are a bit above cheap. I don't want to spend more money on something I don't need but also don't want to cheap out if I need the features of the expensive options.

Can I please have some advice?
Thank you :slight_smile:

You have not posted a link to the PHPoC so I have no idea what it is.

I think you should be able to control a servo directly from an ESP8266. The only reason I have a doubt is because the ESP8266 works at 3.3v

And you could certainly control a servo connected to an Arduino board that is itself connected to an ESP8266.

...R

Thank you again Robin for your reply

Here is the PHPoC in action.

Can do the same thing with an ESP8266?

What is the issue/solution with it running at 3.3v?

From a quick look that PHPoC shield is not required. Whether it offers some features that make it worth its price is a different matter on which I have no opinion.

I donโ€™t know if a servo will work if controlled by a 3.3v signal - I have never tried. However an ESP8266 is not expensive so why not try it.

โ€ฆR

the servo will not get power from the ESP8266 so you have to use some sort of interface. there are lots of results on an e-bay search with the esp8266 and servo.

dave-in-nj:
the servo will not get power from the ESP8266 so you have to use some sort of interface. there are lots of results on an e-bay search with the esp8266 and servo.

Just out of curiosity do you know if a 3.3v MCU can control a servo?

...R

I loaded the servo sweep example onto my ESP8266-12 and connected a "regular" servo to pin 5. Servo powered with external 5V. Servo performed normally. Also tried a "mini" servo, it worked normally, as well.

groundFungus:
I loaded the servo sweep example onto my ESP8266-12 and connected a "regular" servo to pin 5. Servo powered with external 5V. Servo performed normally. Also tried a "mini" servo, it worked normally, as well.

Thanks. That's good to know.

...R

Thank you everyone :slight_smile:

For any question that is related to PHPoC Shield, you can discuss it on PHPoC forum PHPoC Shield for Arduino - PHPoC Forum