Do you like the new forum?

Yeah, or just as an extra button, and really big.

2 Likes

From old forum to here link to attachments is broken and bring post#1
See:
in Mit einem Nrf24 unterschiedliche Struct-Daten an mehrere Empfänger versenden - #23 by combie

klick this link:

this is original:
Post #84

attachment:
https://forum.arduino.cc/uploads/short-url/U2WAjxl3xd6KWl4Nsl0nikdm6C.pdf

... and my picture double?
see: Do you like the new forum? - #1606 by my_xy_projekt

True, they are mostly unchanged, but were just as confusing on SMF

The vast majority of questions are about programming so logically belong in the Programming section but what if the question is about a program that reads a sensor ? Does it belong in the Programming category or the Sensors category ?

Heaven forbid that the result of reading the sensor is to be output to an OLED display. Programming ? Sensors ? Displays ?

What if the project uses a classic Nano board ? Now where does the question belong ? Programming ? Sensors ? Displays ? Classic Nano ?

Think we can also afford to loose some of the right side posts too.

1 Like

If you click on the large circle you get an expanded more easily screen.

But does it still need to be so large ?
Smaller ones would mean less scrolling overall.

I agree. Do you have any proposal based on your forum experience? I'm afraid any taxonomy will have overlaps, and keeping some granularity is still
better than merging everything into a single big category

I made a tongue in cheek suggestion in another topic recently that all of the main categories be removed leaving only the Programming category and the International categories. Whilst I was not entirely serious it would remove the confusion of where to post :grinning:

Whatever is suggested I am certain that someone will will object. It looks like the SMF categories were added as it was felt they were needed leaving the mess that we have now. One thing that would help would be to remove or freeze any inactive categories. Are there stats available of say new topics opened by category by month for the past year ?

Totally ! But this was mentioned within the first week of the 'new forum' and as any other suggestions and complaints about the layout has been ignored by the team responsible. Apparently it is more important to hold on to their own ideas than to actually listen to the people that have been using the forum for years. So really why was this topic started in the first place ?

Am a FAN of the new forum.
But am still not too happy with the excess of scrolling, and have already said that in a couple of places.

Do however think the main selection area / entry screen needs some refinement.
It looks cluttered and needs users to scroll much more than its former version.

Users should be able to get to, and identify an area of interest much quicker,
Were it me I would loose the posts at the right hand side and make better use of the real estate for the categories with a better sized font..

Well i don't know if you are in landscape or portrait, but the layout in landscape still sucks. i want the composer windows not to obstruct the thread. Just columns ! I have some issues with responses like,

How about we start out with that, and if you click on a circle there you can get this crappy overview.
I would favor names instead of avatars in many cases, simply because they are more accurate. At times posts have a few respondents, and depending on who they are, trust the issue can be resolved and i don't even need to have a look.

When I started here, I read pages from the Getting Started guide and bookmarked a whole slew in a bookmark folder. If it looked useful like the Foundations Page, I marked it.

Arduino Foundations -- answers to many problems linked here.

Arduino is Open Source and one of the goals is to make your own products.
PJRC who make the Teensy's are contributors to Arduino Micro and Leonardo both compatible with the earlier Teensy 2.0, which is Open as well.

It is okay to just go to the Arduino main site and donate when you get the software, you can give many times the profit on an Uno R3.

You ask if I like it. No, I don't. It's a horrible experience. I won't be aggravating myself by coming here very often. I'll stick to IRC channels now. So much wasted screen space. So much junk wasted on screen we don't need.

2 Likes

Is there on option to DE-activate always only showing a part of the thread?

If the loading would be realtime I mean Jump from bottom of a #100-posts thread to post #1 in 0,1 seconds It would be OK.

I would prefer load the whole thread into a loooooong page and have it there. I often use the search-function to jump up and down. This is no longer possible. If the content is not on the site it can't be found.
And I have to wait and wait when I'm scrolling up or down.
Scroll and wait scroll and wait grrrrr

1 Like

Next thing I have heard that multiple new users hat to wait very long to reach trust-level 1

For posting multiple postings in a short time, the new member has to get to Discourse trust level one on the forum, which is a pretty trivial matter:

Get to trust level 1 by…

• reading at least 5 topics

• Reading at least 30 posts

• Spend a total of 10 minutes reading posts

seems not to work.
I would like to test this by creating a testuser and then doing tests to report it to the team. Though creating a second account is a reason to be banned so who do I have to ask let me test it to report in detail what the new-user-experience is?

best regards Stefan

This is a testpost to check what is the maximum with the forumsoftware is using on my 2540 pixel widtg monitor with a zoom-level 80% widt

monitor with a zoom-level 80%widtg monitor with a zoom-level 80%widtg monitor with a zoom-level 80%widtg monitor with a zoom-level 80%widtg monitor with a zoom-level 80%widtg monitor with a zoom-level 80%widtg monitor with a zoom-level 80%widtg monitor with a zoom-level 80%widtg monitor with a zoom-level 80%widtg monitor with a zoom-level 80%widtg monitor with a zoom-level 80%widtg monitor with a zoom-level 80%

Take a look at it what a waiste of space

1 Like

Worth testing, but I'll guess that most new users are only interested in their own thread, so the read five topics is what prevents them from increasing their trust level.

There should be shown an automatic message tha explains what lifts them to trust-level 1
The things you have to do are much faster to do than wait a day. and after some posts wait another day...

The main purpose is to keep out SPAM-Bots. Well SPAM-Bots will be kept out. You would need a 100.000 big army of compromised PCs as a botnet to take the time to imitate a real human user by

Get to trust level 1 by…

best regards Stefan

Just what we need, another message for new users to ignore

2 Likes

Depends on the wording:

want to continue posting faster?

For posting multiple postings in a short time, the new member has to get to Discourse trust level one on the forum, which is a pretty trivial matter:

Get to trust level 1 by…

I would even force them to enter into 18 textfields the message above
So first textfield enter the word "reading"
second textfield enter the word "at" ...

In the italian sub-forum some time ago I read this reaction from the moderator:

Your thread is locked and stays locked until you re-edited your first posting according to this guidelines "link".

That's what I call effective.
best regards Stefan