Do you like the new forum?

I haven't installed anything, my Chromium is original and it works with many sites but not with the arduino site (and a few others).

Hi,
Can anyone tell me why the blank space to the left of the posts cannot be used like the old forum and put some info about the poster?
From this.

to this.

This helps a lot with knowing the knowledge base and experience of each poster including the thread originator if he/she chooses.
The posters profile already has this info, but it needs to be, if the member chooses, to have it displayed in the unused side bar.

Tom... :smiley: :+1: :coffee: :australia:

I like the blank space. It shows the designer cared about not overloading the screen. It focuses the eye on what is important and allows reading without straining the eyes. It also allows the same design to be used with vertical screens without deformation of the whole content.

If you want to quickly see the information you mentioned, you can click on that round picture and a kind of business card is shown.

It doesn't show much about the poster, just his stats.
I payed for a 15inch laptop, lets use most of it, I can zoom, but neuropathy makes that difficult.

I think we have been though the waist of screen space before, but be careful, eventually it may get filled with unwanted Banggood, AliExpress, Ebay ads if it is left as free space.

I can clearly see "Australian, Electronics Engineer/Industrial Control Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running...." and a couple of badges on your card.

So much for that… there are eye candies everywhere. The text of the thread is clearly not given the prime estate.

I think it’s optimized somewhat for reading on a small screen like smartphones and tablets and for people with good eyesight - increase the font to 150% and try to edit a post… it’s catastrophic.

For desktop, On my 32 inch monitor i have so much white space that could be used for more content or just allowing a larger font using the full width of the screen.
Anyway - that has all been said before…

And still no result.

There you go, no wasted space either side:

1 Like

That's exactly how I use the forum. Just because the screen is wide does not mean that you have to use it all

So you have empty space next to the window :slight_smile:

The thing is I need bigger font to easily read (happens when you grow older…) so enlarging the window is usually a way to get at least the same content AND bigger font..

but here the post area does not grow so I have big font but less content and lots of space that would have been put to good use esp when reading long code…

So It’s not friendly to those of us who are sight challenged.

That is what the dialog looks like when you don't fill out the application forms. :slight_smile:

When I increase the font size, the empty space gets smaller and more area on the screen is used. I can fill the entire screen and it looks like it would be useful for user with bad vision.

Press CTRL and scroll on your mouse wheel.

When you zoom, all you do is hide the wasted resources.
The blank boarders are still there....

I’ve a 4k 32 inch screen, not sure why I would need to zoom in…

My universal translator must be broken. I misunderstood your post. :slight_smile:

Sorry, if my suggestion was not helpful.

No harm. I do zoom in on occasion but would rather use the pixels I have in a normal way

The new design is not designed for smartphones, nor desktops.

This happens on my Android if I want to switch from one topic to another. The mobile opens the keyboard and the topic listbox is only a few - let's assume 100px - in height, wherein I have to use my little finger very carefully when changing the topic:

To answer the question in the thread titel: I still dislike this new forum. It didn't change from my first impression in the last months. The design is a mess - for desktops and on mobiles. And I can't understand, why no responsible person cares more about user experience.

I said reading, not typing... Yes, as soon as you want to answer, it's a total mess... (I use web shortcuts to get to the forum sections I'm interested in)