Do you think this will work?

I plan on using an Arduino nano, hooked up to a real time clock, the DS3231, and two transistors. I want to have it set so that when the clock senses that it is about 5:40, it will turn on the coffee machine via one transistor, and then wait about 30 seconds and activate the other which will begin the brewing process. For reference I plan on using the Ultima Pro Espresso maker, I was hoping, although unlikely that maybe someone just happened to have one of the same and knew the innards. I would hate to ruin mine. Also if anyone would be so kind as to share any tips, this is my first project in home automation.
Thank You!

joshawatt:
I plan on using an Arduino nano, hooked up to a real time clock, the DS3231, and two transistors. I want to have it set so that when the clock senses that it is about 5:40, it will turn on the coffee machine via one transistor, and then wait about 30 seconds and activate the other which will begin the brewing process. For reference I plan on using the Ultima Pro Espresso maker, I was hoping, although unlikely that maybe someone just happened to have one of the same and knew the innards. I would hate to ruin mine. Also if anyone would be so kind as to share any tips, this is my first project in home automation.
Thank You!

You do realize there are devices for $10 that do this already.
Made in China and sold in USA.

yeah but i was planning on doing this for the practice

A "transistor" cannot be used to switch household AC.

You should purchase a safety approved module for that purpose, something like the PowerSwitchTail. No modifications to the coffeemaker necessary!

ok thats what i thought as well, however i think because the buttons are more digital than mechcanical that maybe there is a dc voltage running that controls the buttons and LEDs

Ahh, you want to take apart and reverse engineer your coffeemaker, then modify the control switches for external inputs. That is certainly possible.

Awesome, thank you!

jremington:
You should purchase a safety approved module for that purpose, something like the PowerSwitchTail.

According to adafruit, that's discontinued, although it's not clear if they mean no longer made or that they don't stock it any more. But in any case, they now have this which I think is better and you save a dollar.

I also quite like the look of this.