[Documetation] Important Note on Bridge.py

As some of you know, I've documenting the inners of the Arduino Yun. This note is about two different parts of that bridge.

Part One One of the parts that was difficult to trace was how bridge.py started. Part of the problem was that /etc/inittab was not well documented. Well this morning I found that missing piece, and made the correction to documentation on Openwrt

This is the correct reference for inittab as used with the YUN. http://git.busybox.net/busybox/tree/examples/inittab

/etc/inittab
::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS S boot
::shutdown:/etc/init.d/rcS K shutdown
ttyATH0::askfirst:/bin/ash --login

Specfically on ttyATH0 the documentation says:

Note: askfirst acts just like respawn, but before running the specified

process it displays the line "Please press Enter to activate this

console." and then waits for the user to press enter before starting

the specified process.

The phrase "Please press Enter to activate this console", should be familiar to the users of Yún Serial Terminal.

Part Two A bit minor, but important nonetheless, is that bridge.py can be seen in the process table (use ps w in the shell).

The process table shows:

python -u bridge.py

The important part is [u]-u[/u]. That means "unbuffered" IO, for stdin, stdout, and stderr*.* man python Jesse

jessemonroy650: A bit minor, but important nonetheless

I should say that the "-u" is important! It's the solution to a couple recent threads about trying to read the output from an asynchronous Python process. More details here, for example. Using -u simplifies the situation greatly (and helps me with one of my projects, eliminating the need to pass data through the Bridge.put/get mechanism.)

Thank you for the update. Using the bridge put/get can be slow. I need to look at again the python server. This may be a way to speed things up.