Does a force-sensing button exist?

For my project, I need to measure the force of a push of a finger/body part. Does a force-sensing BUTTON exist?

I've tried a FSR (force resistive sensor; Overview | Force Sensitive Resistor (FSR) | Adafruit Learning System) but it doesn't really work so well for my application because it's design seems better to measure pinches than pushes (you really need to be applying pressure from both sides).

I'm thinking, if it existed, a force-measuring push button would be much more what I'm after. Does anyone know if such a button exists? Something like Tactile Button switch (6mm) x 20 pack : ID 367 : $2.50 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits, but rather than binary (pushed or not), a button that measures how much force you are applying (ie. how hard you are pushing it)?

Thanks!

sound like you are talking about multiple measurements and interchanging words that are not similar.

"how far down you press" is a distance and only requires an out of balance force.

'force measuring' does not imply movement of the device.

these might be of interest.

http://www.forsentek.com/product4.html

Dave, thanks for the reply. Whether it's actually measuring force or measuring distance the button is pressed is less relevant to my application than simply: "when i push harder on this button, does it register a greater number?"

You need a very sensitive load cell with a button mounted over it. that presses a plunger onto the load cell .

seanahrens:
it's design seems better to measure pinches than pushes (you really need to be applying pressure from both sides).

I don't think that's the case. From the point of view of the sensor, it doesn't make any difference whether you're pinching it from both sides, or pushing on one side with the other side being reacted against a fixed object. Perhaps you just aren't pushing hard enough to operate the sensor. Can you give some idea of the maximum amount of force you want to measure?

seanahrens:
I've tried a FSR (force resistive sensor) but it doesn't really work so well for my application because it's design seems better to measure pinches than pushes (you really need to be applying pressure from both sides).

I'm thinking you need to study up on Newton's laws of force and motion.

It's simple. You mount it on something firm; the table for a start. If it then is not sufficiently sensitive, you just need to select the model that is; there is a whole range of them (somewhere!).

@seanahrens did you find a solution to this? I want to do something similar

The OP is not a member of this site any more.