Does extra storage mean more variables?

Hello all.

I'm curious if adding an SD card to an arduino will allow use of more variables, or if it would just allow you to write and read data? I've never used an SD card shield so I'm asking about it's capabilities before I spend money on one.

Thanks,
Tyler

A little slooooowwww for variable stashing, but could be done if zero performance is your goal.

And you can’t use them like normal variables. You’d have to use the sd read and write functions to get at the values.

I'm curious if adding an SD card to an arduino will allow use of more variables

In the sense that I think you mean it, the answer is a resounding NO.

just allow you to write and read data?

yes.

Pete

Variables are just pointers to DATA. If you stash the data in offline storage, you will have to get it back into the uC's data memory before it can be used (which one presumes in your case, means clearing out some other data).

Maybe you should consider investing in a Mega (or detailing your code to see if you can streamline and do with less data, or make more efficient use of data types).
Maybe consider putting some things in EEPROM?

123Splat:
Variables are just pointers to DATA. If you stash the data in offline storage, you will have to get it back into the uC’s data memory before it can be used (which one presumes in your case, means clearing out some other data).

Maybe you should consider investing in a Mega (or detailing your code to see if you can streamline and do with less data, or make more efficient use of data types).
Maybe consider putting some things in EEPROM?

How does EEPROM work? And how would that benefit me?

check out the examples in the playground.

Variables are just pointers to DATA.

A variable contains an item of data - an integer, a float, or even a pointer - but a variable is not a pointer to data.

How does EEPROM work? And how would that benefit me?

Unless you specify what you are trying to do there's no point even considering an open-ended question like this. Read the pages in the Arduino Reference section which cover EEPROM. Read and try out the EEPROM examples in the Arduino IDE and learn something on your own.

Pete

Sorry premo,

Variable names.

Or as 1284P based board, 16K SRAM for variables, twice that of a Mega.
http://www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17/
One of the several form factors I offer:

An Atmega1284 gives you 16Kb of SRAM, is this enough?

Edit:
Bob got there first.

Touche'