Does platformIO offer anything more than arduino-CLI for arduinos

Hello,

I am currently building code only for... boards which happen to compile and uploader under arduino-cli. These boards cover about 99% of my projects: arduino nanos, attinys and wemos D1 boards.

I even use scripts to generate entire project folders complete with arduino-cli build and upload scripts as well as a tasks.json to be used with VS code. After I assembled a new project, I can compile and upload the project to the arduino with a press on F6 in VS code. I even generate a hard coded timestamp before compilation so I always can tell how old a program exactly is.

I know that platformIO is not limited to just the arduino SDK and it can do much more, more things than I strictly need. I do believe it is unavoidable that in the end we will al be using platform IO, but who knows.

So considering that I'll be good for the next 5 years or so. Is there currently something in platformIO which I may want to have?
In other words: do I want to transition to platformIO? and why would I want that?

Bas

This is what the fanboys want everyone to believe but I doubt it myself. VS + cli works better in my opinion but honestly I am currently using Arduino 2.0 and as long as they don't dumb it down to much on final release I think I'll stick with it. But what do I know.

1. Sooner or later, we'll all be using Ubuntu, because all other distros are rubbish.
  2. Coffee tastes terrible; therefore, a few years in the future, everybody will just drink tea.
  3. It is unavoidable that, some time in the future, cats will go extinct. Dogs are obviously the superior pet.
  4. In the end, nobody will date blondes anymore. Brunettes are just so much prettier.

Shall I go on? What about a fifth prophecy?

Integration with github, maybe. Or, a differnet way to do things. What about just trying for yourself?

Do I want to transition to vi instead of emacs (there, I said it)? Why would I want that?

Of course you want to. One day you will run into this old Unix system that does not know about emacs :joy: