Does resistance matter in analog inputs?

I want to make a sensor that is basically 2 wires. When they are not touching the computer will read the a value, when they are touching it will read another value.

It will be basically an input sensor.

Is it possible when the two wires are touching to short circuit the Arduino?

Does the resistance matter in analog inputs?

When set as inputs, I/O pins have high impedance. The I/O pin doesn't need a resistor to protect it when it's set as an input (assuming the voltage isn't higher than Vdd).

The impedance if the input signal can affect how well the ADC can read signal voltage. I'm not sure what the limits of the Arduino's ADC is but I generally avoid using inputs with more than 10K ohm of resistance when using an analog input.

So if I had a potentiometer with no resistance it would not cause the board any problems?

kolleamm: So if I had a potentiometer with no resistance it would not cause the board any problems?

Correct. As long as the I/O pin is not set as an output.

Thank you so much, I owe you one :D

DuaneDegn: The impedance if the input signal can affect how well the ADC can read signal voltage. I'm not sure what the limits of the Arduino's ADC is but I generally avoid using inputs with more than 10K ohm of resistance when using an analog input.

Using an Amp in following mode can solve this problem.