Does Serial.print stop the program if no PC?

I'm trying to debug my code/hardware and I was wondering if Serial.Print stops the program from running if there is not terminal to receive the data.

I have two programs running on two arduinos that have some serial.print commands for debugging, but I read one at a time using a terminal. The other one is supposed to operate by itself.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Steve

No, It keeps running. But It restarts the skecth when any terminal connected again.

You need to cut the track to dis-able the auto reset or stop it by some other means. I saw a method which padded the reset line with 120ohm resistor to +5v i think it was.

This way it will keep running with or without a PC or until you hit the reset button. (I think this will over-ride the resistor mod) John ;D ;D

Dont keep your finger on the reset button too long though you will cook the resistor or drag the +5v down

Dont keep your finger on the reset button too long though you will cook the resistor or drag the +5v down

what is the basis for that statement?

The reset resistor on a standard Arduino board is 10k ohms, so its handling only a tiny amount of power (2.5 milliwatts) while the reset button is pressed.

There was a method I came across the other day (but cant find it now) which advocated putting a 120ohm resistor from the reset line to +5v.

This was to swamp the auto reset line without blowing it. The 120ohm value was quite important.

Now if this is fitted and you then press the reset button it effectively puts the bottom end of the resistor to ground.

The resistor will then dissipate 208mw and will draw approx 41ma. Ohms law unless my calculations are out.

It has nothing to do with the 10k resistor already fitted. I will try to find the mod link... John >:( >:(

Found it. It is in the playground.

http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Main/DisablingAutoResetOnSerialConnection

john :D :D :D

John, thanks for clarifying that.