Does someone go after people making counterfeits?

Hi, I am new to the world of micro controllers and I bought my first one off ebay... seems like I made a mistake...

I got quite obviously a clone labeled as "Arduino Duemilanove". What I received mostly resembled what I've seen these boards should look like, but had extra and missing header pins, and missing markings on the pcb.

It was also constructed very poorly; one row of headers for a shield attachment was soldered at an angle that it would not fit a shield I had purchased. All the visible solder joints on the back look over soldered (large gloopy drop of solder, including marks on the pcb where you can see some left a hot iron touching the pcb).

Needless to say I am very unhappy with the experience... Partially my fault for not doing proper research on the product outside of ebay, and partially the fact I relied on other customers leaving proper feedback about the item...

Anyways, for the topic titles question; Does someone go after people making counterfeit clones like I received? The sellers are using the trademarked Arduino name and model names and doing so at a low quality standard.

If someone is, I would like to help whomever go after the ebay seller I purchased from...

Right now I have an open PayPal dispute to try to get my money back; so far the seller is unwilling to budge after I pointed out that they break both Ebay and PayPal User Agreements, and that they are breaking trademark laws. It seems like after I filed the dispute, the seller is posting auctions of the boards at an increased rate... I see more positive feed back being left for the product.

I have information about the seller including their mailing address.

Does someone go after people making counterfeit clones like I received? The sellers are using the trademarked Arduino name and model names and doing so at a low quality standard.

Well I'm not sure it's a case of counterfeit as the Arduino software and hardware design are open sourced. I think also while the Arduino name has been asked to be honored by the founders, there may not have been a trademark filed.

So it's more a case of poor quality I think and the best to you can probably do is to leave negative feedback on E-bay and share the sellers e-bay name here. I've bought lots of stuff from Asia on E-bay and have never had a problem other then out of spec voltage regulators from one Thailand seller which I avoided after that.

Lefty

Does the board work at all; have you tested its functions? If the tests seem ok (hook up LEDs with current limiting resistors to each of the outputs, test those - include the analog inputs as outputs, then test the analog inputs using a potentiometer or similar - that would be a basic test), then maybe you can resolder/reflow the headers, and straighten them out. Then run the test again to verify. Also fix any of the "blobbed" joints you see (they may be cold solder joints). Not a perfect solution, but it may work out.

Did you check the feedback on the sellers? Was it positive or negative? What kind of volume of transactions did they sell? Based on that, you almost have to guess.

People find sellers who sell a lot of cheap parts on Ebay and they are happy with that. I’m not knocking that.

There have been problems with users selling computers where the buyer doesn’t always know what he is getting.

There was one case users have talked about where Paypal took money out of someone’s account without checking.

I had a dispute with a seller and went looking online and the information to get someone on the phone at Ebay seems to be lacking because they make money through transactions and not through resolutions. When I have to spend an hour trying to find help, phone numbers or email addresses to get help then I know how well their dispute resolution process will work.

The truth is that Ebay is limited in some ways as to what they can do because they can’t go to all fifty states and settle things in court. I’m sure they just don’t have the money for that. That is why they want your credit card. It seems they just want your money and having their hand in your wallet to settle your disputes.

Ebay’s rules and contracts seem to be longer and more available than trying to get in contact with their resolution department. People have created an alternative to Ebay called Amibay because they weren’t protected.

I like the look of Amibay.

Nice site.
Thanks for informing me :slight_smile:

Mowcius

This was the seller: http://stores.shop.ebay.ca/wgbstore__W0QQ_armrsZ1

In hindsight I should have known better when i saw the "made in china" on the photo... but I did checked the feedback previous to mine, and I did not see any negative feedback left for the arduino controllers (there was negative feedback left for other products; and it looked like stuff where buyers did not look at the description at all and were surprised at what they got).

If you go check the seller now, you will find my negative feedback left, after at least of dozen other positive feed back for arduinos.

I did test the "arduino" I got, and it seems to work fine off usb; but I think I have an issue with the voltage regulator; as led's get noticeably brighter using a 12V adapter (wallwart) and my stepper motor (using the adafruit motorshield) get burning hot when I use the 12v adapter... (they are suppose to run at 5v)

As for fixing it, I may change the voltage regulator; I have already using my soldering iron to carefully melt the solder joints, and try to clean up the mess. It was only the through soldering that was a mess; all the smt stuff looked fine to me atleast. I'm not the best at soldering, so if I see soldering and am compelled to fix it, it is saying something.

My thought on the fair use of the name is that I understand that it is frowned upon to make a microcontroller and call it like "Arduino Cool Version of Awesome"; might not be necessarily violating trademarks or anyhting, but this seller clearly uses the "Duemilanove" name, and no where mentions "compatible".

It would be like I owned a hamburger place where I started selling "Mac's Big Burger" and served it in a box and made it look like a Big Mac; that would be frowned upon. But I think it would be completely wrong if I sold something called a "Big Mac".

This my first experience with doing anything with microcontrollers, and my only arduino board; I am thinking of buying a second board from a more reputable source though...

Let me start off by agreeing that it's wrong.

That said, the trademark application for "Arduino" in the USA was denied because "Arduino is simply a surname".

That means that no criminal action can be taken through the United States government. I don't know if any other country has jurisdiction besides China, which I assume doesn't have Arduino registered as a trademark.

hey, i saw your negative feedback for that seller and it make me choose another seller when i bought one yesterday.

you cost them a sale! :D

That said, the trademark application for "Arduino" in the USA was denied because "Arduino is simply a surname".

Their application was relaunched and approved, and the trademark application is now published in the US Trademark Gazette as far as I know. It should be approved and registered shortly, if it isn't already.

Their application was relaunched and approved, and the trademark application is now published in the US Trademark Gazette as far as I know. It should be approved and registered shortly, if it isn’t already.

Got a link to the info on this?

That sounds very good.

Mowcius

This it?

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=searchss&state=4009:didb8a.1.1

(Search for Arduino) I presume LIVE means that it has been accepted...

Mowcius

Their application was relaunched and approved, and the trademark application is now published in the US Trademark Gazette as far as I know. It should be approved and registered shortly, if it isn't already.

Well that certainly is good news! I had no idea!

I'm glad to hear that they will be able to (at least theoretically) pursue legal action against infringement!

I'm glad to hear that they will be able to (at least theoretically) pursue legal action against infringement!

And not that it makes any difference to us lot but they should be able to sue the sellers for any clone boards sold after the trademark acceptance date.

Mowcius

hey, i saw your negative feedback for that seller and it make me choose another seller when i bought one yesterday.

you cost them a sale!

Good, I can't stand it when sellers get away with crap like that. It would have made a difference if it was listed just as a "compatible" product; because I either would have understood it was a knock off product, or would have bought elsewhere.

I'm still going through the ringer with paypal on this...

A very good quality Duemilanove clone board I purchased doesn't mention Arduino on the board at all. I bought it from a UK supplier, but it came from here:

http://www.dfrobot.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=49

It clearly is a clone, from the description.

It is not a clone board though. It is a copy of the design which is completely fine. The issue is when people buy a board they think is an official arduino and then they find it is a complete clone and not an official board. People using the designs and making their own boards is fine but the problem arises when people make boards and claim they are official arduino boards.

Mowcius

A very good quality Duemilanove clone board I purchased doesn't mention Arduino on the board at all. I bought it from a UK supplier, but it came from here:

http://www.dfrobot.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=49

I got a DFRduino and the external power voltage regulator does not work correctly (everything else works ok). Maybe it is a DFRduino clone.

I got a DFRduino and the external power voltage regulator does not work correctly (everything else works ok). Maybe it is a DFRduino clone.

Probably just a bad batch or regulators. I have heard of this error on that board and other boards before. Are you in a position to fit a new one or are you just living with it?

Mowcius

Check the soldering. It might simply be a bad joint.