Does Sparkfun OpenLog MEGA328p have a bootloader?

I've been trying to update an OpenLog.

I can download the OpenLog software to a Sparkfun Redboard with CAN Sheild (has a microSD socket) and run that software. No problem.

I'm using an FTDI Serial to TTL and have no problem using a terminal program to talk to the OpenLog module. COM10 on a WIN-7 64bit ASUS laptop.

However when I try and download using the Arduino IDE it fails as shown from the error log.

avrdude: Version 6.3-20190619
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "D:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : COM10
Using Programmer : arduino
Overriding Baud Rate : 115200
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xb3
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xb3
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xb3
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xb3
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xb3
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xb3
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xb3
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xb3
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xb3
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xb3

avrdude done. Thank you.

So is this because the Openlog module doesn't have the boot loader or can I not use the FTDI COM10 port to do this? I've selected Ardunio UNO as the device since it's also a 328P and I can download to the Sparkfun UNO cloned Redboard.

Not familiar with the openlog. A quick look at the schematic shows a DTR pin which would indicate that you can upload code to it through the bootloader. DTR would be GRN on the board itself and you need to connect that to your FTDI board's DTR.

// edit
Please see OpenLog Hookup Guide - learn.sparkfun.com for some details about wiring and software updates.

I can’t speak for a genuine Sparkfun openlog, but I’ve bought a few clones from ebay. One or two worked, but the rest didn’t seem to work at all.

I tried using Avrdude to read the 328p signature using the ISP signals but couldn’t get a reply. Either my boards had fake 328p processors on them or their ISP port was disabled by flags.

I removed the 328p and soldered in a brand new blank 328p. I programmed that with the optiboot (or maybe it was minicore) bootloader. I then loaded in the genuine openlog software via the Arduino IDE. I think I told the IDE that I had an Arduino Uno and the boot loader just loaded the code like any other Arduino hardware.

I’ve now got several working openlog boards that way.

The genuine Sparkfun OpenLog has the standard Arduino bootloader. Sparkfun posted instructions somewhere for updating or modifying the code, and I have done that successfully.

Don't forget it is a 3.3V ONLY device, but, last time I looked, they were ignoring the manufacturer's recommendations and running it at 16 MHz anyway. That is NOT guaranteed to work, but the Sparkfun engineers don't seem to care.

Need Atmega2650V for 3.3V use.

I bootload all my 328P chips as Unos, less confusing that way.