Does the Micro come with the default Atmel 32U4 bootloader from the factory?

Does the Arduino Micro come with the default Atmel 32U4 bootloader from the factory?

I suspect not. If not, why not? It is incompatible with the Arduino IDE? Or does it perhaps require the additional step of pressing a program button as with some of Atmel's other USB boards?

I ask because I was thinking about designing a 32U4 board without an ISP header on there by default, and just use the USB to program it, but that would be silly if I had to have the header there to put the bootloader on the chip in the first place.

(deleted)

Some distributors off a programming service for programmable chips but it will cost you and there is also normally a minimum quantity of a few thousand.

scswift: Does the Arduino Micro come with the default Atmel 32U4 bootloader from the factory?

No.

scswift: I suspect not. If not, why not?

Why would it?

scswift: I ask because I was thinking about designing a 32U4 board without an ISP header on there by default, and just use the USB to program it, but that would be silly if I had to have the header there to put the bootloader on the chip in the first place.

You don't have to have an ISP header, you can put little contact pads on the PCB and use pogo pins.