Does the SMC1602A driver work with Arduino?

I’m trying to make a LCD project with the Uno, and using a LCD with a SMC1602A driver. I’m trying to use the liquidCrystal.h library. I know the code works, and the wiring is right too. Do I need to get another LCD or what?

Code attached

Project_23.ino (3.24 KB)

What do you mean by the term ‘SMC1602A driver’?

If the code works and the wiring is right then what is your problem?

The code that you have attached looks a little complicated if you are just trying to make sure that your LCD is working. You really don’t want anything in loop() while you are troubleshooting.

I suggest something simple like this:

#include <LiquidCrystal.h>

//LiquidCrystal lcd(RS, E, D4, D5, D6, D7);
LiquidCrystal lcd(7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12);      // put your pin numbers here

void setup()
  {
  lcd.begin(16, 2);                          // put your LCD parameters here
  lcd.print("hello, world!");
  lcd.setCursor(0,1);
  lcd.print("it works!");
  }

void loop()
  {
  }

Don

OK, so when you refer to a "SMC1602A", you mean a common 1602 LCD display with its HD44780 interface, nothing more, nothing less.

So, what is the problem? How do you "know the code works"? What does it not do? Specifically, what does the display show? Does it even light up?

You might just as well tell us your refrigerator is "not working", giving the same information.

The main thing that I was wondering is if the liquidCrystal.h library works with non-HD44780 LCD's. The LCD I'm trying to work with isn't a HD44780 LCD. I took the code and wiring directly from a Arduino book, and it specified using a HD44780 driver. The only thing that happens on both of my Arduinos is the backlight turns on. Nothing more than that.

The LCD I'm using I found here

The LCD I'm using I found here

That information should have been in your original post.

In spite of what the advertisement says I doubt that the controller is an ' SMC1602A or Equivalent'. I suspect that the display is an SMC1602A and the controller is an HD44780 or equivalent.

Your display should work with the LiquidCrystal library. Have you tried the code that I previously supplied?

Don

Eosti: The main thing that I was wondering is if the liquidCrystal.h library works with non-HD44780 LCD's. The LCD I'm trying to work with isn't a HD44780 LCD.

What is it that makes you think that?

You don't believe that website when it states: "HD44780 compatible - works with standard Arduino LiquidCrystal library"?