Does the USB Driver Auto-Set the Baud Rate?

I use a serialBegin(9600) function in my code when opening the serial port. However irrespective of the baud rate used in the VB program which communicates with the board or the baud rate used in a terminal program, I can still communicate ok.
Does the USB driver autoset the baud rate for communication with the virtual port? (Similar to the way dialup modems could autoset the baudrate on the fly)

Eugbug:
I use a serialBegin(9600) function in my code when opening the serial port. However irrespective of the baud rate used in the VB program which communicates with the board or the baud rate used in a terminal program, I can still communicate ok.
Does the USB driver autoset the baud rate for communication with the virtual port? (Similar to the way dialup modems could autoset the baudrate on the fly)

Yes the baudrate spec is only needed to be matched by the PC application and the arduino sketch code serial.begin statement. The PC usb driver and the arduino USB serial converter chip will handle the actual USB transfers 'transparently' of the desired baudrate that the 'end users' are using.

Lefty

Which Arduino?