Does this possible with Arduino ??

Hello there, I am new to Arduino - and have a project need to be done. Please let me know if you think it's possible doing it using Arduino.

I need to create a multiply "remote controls" that have 4 button on it - 1,2,3,4. I need to collect using PC statistics of how many "remote controls" press any of these buttons.

It is possible ? What is the limit of remote controls can send the info simultaneously ?

I thought about and idea of how managing it - so there will no be limit of remote controls : Every remote control have serial number. The PC send request for remote control number 1 - please send info. When the PC recevie this info (or timeout), he send request for number 2 and so on. The question is how much time it will take for let's say 200 remote controls... ?

Thanks for your help and regards ! Ofer

Trying to make a quiz sort of thing? :) Are you thinking wireless or wired?

I wouldn't go with the polled method personally. I'd use a protocol like I2C which allows collisions gracefully. Basically with I2C multiple devices can talk together and if there is a collision then it will sort its self out automatically. It uses 7 bit addresses which means up to 128 devices per bus.

What you want to do is easily possible.

yeah... Some kind of quiz ... 8-)

Wireless ofcourse, for wired I don't need the Arduino or anything else, I just connect all the buttons directly to the PC....

I don't familiar with I2C. Can you describe it for me ? If I need more than 128 at a time ? it is possible ?

Which other hardware I need to accomplish this mission ? Does the Arduino software will be complicated ?

Please guide me as much as possible

Thanks & regards, Ofer

Wireless ofcourse, for wired I don't need the Arduino or anything else, I just connect all the buttons directly to the PC....

Actually you couldnt. There is no way to attach that many things to a computer.

I don't familiar with I2C. Can you describe it for me ? If I need more than 128 at a time ? it is possible ?

Basically its a two wire interface (plus power and GND so 4 total) and you just wire it up to the same pins on each node.

If you insist on wireless then it will get very tricky and very expensive very fast. The cheapest thing I can think of is polled mode with cheap and nasty RF transmitters. They dont support addresses or collisions so polled mode is the only thing to do. Even thats about $14 per node.

Compared to running four wires, its not a good option. If your doing this in a lecture theater sort of environment then wires wouldnt be a problem.

It must be wireless. Already done that with wires...

Did you get my email about it ?? Please send me email with reply about my suggestion.

Thanks, Ofer

Replied.

you should look into zigbee modules for this