Does this sensor exist?

Suppose you have a chess board. And you place a beacon on one of the squares. You hold your sensor 1 foot above the board and move it around randomly. At some point you will pass over that square with the beacon. Your sensor will detect this and beep/send a command/etc.

Does such a thing exist?

Thanks everyone!

Just for clarification, is your goal simply to identify that this beacon is on that square? Are there other beacons on other squares? Is it the placement you are after, or the type of thing in it?

c_dc: Just for clarification, is your goal simply to identify that this beacon is on that square? Are there other beacons on other squares? Is it the placement you are after, or the type of thing in it?

I would like to relay the positional information of the sensor as it passes over a square with the beacon; back to my monitor.

What about a plain old IR beam type transmitter and receiver, like they use to alert you when something passes through a door or something?

It needs to be directional, and work with the distance from beacon to sensor 12 or so times the resolution you need, I don't see any method other than optical, and IR seems the most off-the-shelf one. Alternately a camera and SBC with some computer vision, and the beacon would just be a brightly colored square sitting on the board?

Clearly this is an X-Y Problem now what do you actually want to do? It is much better to say so rather than ask for a sensor that you think could solve your problem.

ardoyouknowwhoiam: Suppose you have a chess board. And you place a beacon on one of the squares.

What is this "beacon"?

You hold your sensor

What sensor?

It strikes me that all you will get with this mythical sensor is an indication of when it is over the beacon, what ever it is. The sensor will not give you a position indication of what specific square it is over, just an indication of when it is over the beacon square.