Does touching atmega328 pins dandifies te chip?

Hi!

could anyone tell me if there are risks if touching handling the chip?

I have some chips that aren't working so I thought maybe that was the problem.

tks!

NO risks so that's not your problem

Mark

Hi! Even when the chip is out of board?

Tks

If you aren't taking static electricity precautions it is possible to damage the chip, even though they have ESD diodes.

There’s less danger if the surface you are picking chips up from and setting them down on is at the same voltage potential as you. This is usually satisfied by touching the surface first.

There’s still a danger, to be sure, but I haven’t fried anything yet.

Make sure you are in a room without a nylon carpet, wear only natural fibres, and ground yourself before touching the chips. Even with protection diodes its perfectly possible to destroy a chip if there's a lot of static. The normal protection diode spec is for something like 2kV via a resistor that models the human body, Dry air and a nylon carpet you can get 50kV or thereabouts.

cabecinhas:
I have some chips that aren’t working so I thought maybe that was the problem.

How do you know they aren’t working? Maybe they don’t have a bootloader, or some other issue.

Personally I try to avoid handling any chips by the legs. Use pliers and pick them up by the body. Also touch something metal (which is grounded) first. I usually touch something like the metal PC case. And sometimes I get a nasty jolt which I am sure the chip would not have enjoyed.

The other day I inadvertantly connected an output pin of a quad half bridge chip. As I turned on the power it fed 18v straight into the arduino but it was the bridge chip that exploded. My arduino has lived to fry another day. :slight_smile:

[quote author=Nick Gammon link=topic=270336.msg1905994#msg1905994 date=1412297306] And sometimes I get a nasty jolt which I am sure the chip would not have enjoyed. [/quote] Ah well, that's Melbourne for you. $)

XD