does tsop1738 needs a resistor?

I'm a bit confused, does the tsop1738 needs a resistor or not?
In most projects i've seen there's no resistor, but then there are some where there are a resistor an even two resistor.

Well [looking at the data sheet](https://components101.com/sites/default/files/component_datasheet/TSOP1738 Datasheet.pdf) what do you think? Resistor for what? If you mean an external pull up then no. It has an internal 100K pullup. Looking at the data sheets application circuit they show an optional 10K ohm between VCC and Vout. So what impedance are you planning on working into? Use the data sheet.

Ron

Which resistor. You do need the 330R resistor and 4u7 ( or maybe 10uF ) capacitor for reliability. We once had to rework several thousand set top boxes because these were not fitted.

The optional 10K or so resistor is needed to reduce any interference pickup as the built in 100K pull up resistor is a bit high for most practical applications.

Since it is a photon triggered device, and only needs photons and power, to provide an output voltage, one might
wonder why you are even asking this question, which , from what I can see , makes no sense.

The device needs power from pin 2

The device needs power from pin 2

I knew that.

@Grumpy_Mike do you, by the way, consider the tsop1738 a good option or is there a better option i should be considering?
I'm about to place an order, that's why i'm searching about about this

TTL & CMOS compatible

do you, by the way, consider the tsop1738 a good option or is there a better option i should be considering?

I have no idea what you are trying to do so how can I say if this is a good choice?

I have no idea what you are trying to do so how can I say if this is a good choice?

Because you know everything ?

nunocv:
I'm a bit confused, does the tsop1738 needs a resistor or not?
In most projects i've seen there's no resistor, but then there are some where there are a resistor an even two resistor.

Aha, electronics has become a kind of "wild west" now, where "anything goes" in the saloon. I take any project that I see on the internet as a raw material that has to be screened and processed to yield anything useful. It's pointless to try to understand the reasoning of a fool. So I confirm absolutely everything by referencing source materials like data sheets, professionally written libraries. A lot of component choices like that are made in almost complete ignorance - which of course, is not admitted when it gets posted as a project.

Grumpy_Mike:

my project is about controlling my aquarium light, filter and air pump, turn them on and off. and this IR receiver was the first option that pop out on my research

raschemmel:
TTL & CMOS compatible

thanks @raschemmel

aarg:
Aha, electronics has become a kind of "wild west" now, where "anything goes" in the saloon. I take any project that I see on the internet as a raw material that has to be screened and processed to yield anything useful. It's pointless to try to understand the reasoning of a fool. So I confirm absolutely everything by referencing source materials like data sheets, professionally written libraries. A lot of component choices like that are made in almost complete ignorance - which of course, is not admitted when it gets posted as a project.

thanks @aarg
i have experience in software development, i'm new to hardware. i've been working on the exact same project for a very long time, exactly so that i can learn as much as possible about the components and the way they interact. and so that i can embrace good practices

Salt water ?
Duck tape Arlo cameras against the glass

Freshwater.
Not sure i understood the second line. Can you please rephrase? (I'm not english native)

tape Arlo wifi cameras against the glass

Why!? I don't want to spy on my cichlids (hahahaha)
But for real, why you suggested the camera?

my project is about controlling my aquarium light, filter and air pump, turn them on and off. and this IR receiver was the first option that pop out on my research

So you must match the modulating frequency and the IR wavelength of the remote control to the sort of IR receiver you should use.
The TSOP1738 decodes a modulated IR beam at 38KHz. There are variants of this device with different end numbers representing different modulation frequencies.

Also there are two different types for IR wavelength, all in all there are a lot of variants of this part
Vishay:
TSOP1100 TSOP1240. TSOP1238. TSOP1130. TSOP1140. TSOP1137. TSOP1133. TSOP1256. TSOP1236.
TSOP1156. TSOP1136. TSOP1138. TSOP1233. TSOP1237. TSOP6237TR TSOP6237TT TSOP1230. TSOP1856 TSOP1738 TSOP1838 TSOP1738. TSOP85438TR TSOP59240 TSOP59456 TSOP59440 TSOP59236 TSOP59256 TSOP59436 TSOP59438 TSOP59238

You need to choose the one that matches your IR remote.