doh, I think I killed my new UNO

Hi guys, I just got my new arduinos and have been playing around with them. Got 2 for some I2C experiments and such.

But anyhow, I was playing around with one of them and accidentally attached my temp sensor's output pin to the vin pin (sensor is a tmp36gz). the sensor is now dead (output always reads 3.6v, used to read .705 at room temp) and it seems the arduino doesn't communicate with the usb anymore.

Here's what's happening, when I plug in the usb port, my pc detects it, but when I try to upload a sketch I get this error and the tx/rx lights never flash:
Binary sketch size: 5792 bytes (of a 32256 byte maximum)
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

did I burn out the ftdi chip?

I guess if that's the case the easiest thing would be to get a usb->ftdi cable, and connect that directly to the headers. That should work right?

EDIT:
Forgot to mention that I have the SMD version of the UNO.

The uno does not have a ftdi uc. But yes, you can use a ftdi cable :slight_smile:

One think that I liked about old arduinos is the ftdi and its replaceability (I replaced 3)

attachment to the VIN must not be a serious problem because the circuitry is not supplied anything from here only the direct unregulated current flows however in the 5V and 3.3V pin's are regulated for power as such the wrong temp.. sensor link doesn't seems to have made wrong doing's.