Don't know where to start...

Hello,

I’m interested in purchasing an Arduino, except I don’t know what product/model to get. I have previous experience from using BASIC STAMP in high school and I’m comfortable with a couple of programming languages (C++, VB.net, Pascal and Java) so I think learning the language for arduino will be quite easy. Also, I have basic electronic knowledge, played with circuits before, and know the functions of the basic components. In addition, I’m not worried about soldering.

What I’m interested in doing is getting myself Android for hobby related tasks. Like try different things just for fun. I’m interested mainly in Wireless Control. For example, I want to be able to control an arduino from the computer, maybe using bluetooth. For example, I would initiate a keypress on the computer, and the arduino would respond (let’s say turn on a LED). Is that possible ? Finally, I am using Ubuntu Linux as my operating system, is the software compatible ?

Thanks

Even for someone who’s used Circuits before/is comfortable with soldering, I would suggest the Arduino Duemilanove.

It’s a great way to get into the whole idea, because it brings out all pins without the need to solder or connect to a breadboard. It works great and is fairly versatile.

I would initiate a keypress on the computer, and the arduino would respond (let’s say turn on a LED). Is that possible ?

Certainly! There are many ways of going about it though (WiFi, Radio Frequency, Bluetooth, etc.)

I am using Ubuntu Linux as my operating system, is the software compatible ?

I’m nearly positive it can be run on Linux, I just don’t remember how :P.

the software in in java, so it will run on darn near anything

as far as which model, I dont help people in this topic, cause what is wonderful for me may not be for you

I have a modern devices Bare Bones Arduino cause I am cheap and didnt mind soldering it, out of the box I never liked it cause it has a wimpy power regulator and sits on your breadboard. So I added a 7805 and some female headers (to replace the male ones that would have sucked up a quarter of my breadboard) mounted it on a nice little piece of plywood, and its been great

OK, the Duemilanove sounds like a good idea. Now, if I want to control it from a computer wirelessly let’s say, what other modules/accessories should I get ? My laptop already has integrated bluetooth so that might help ?

Bluetooth would probably be possible, although you would need to mess around with sending data through “Firmata” using something like processing or your own code… you could also go with an xbee, which probably won’t simplify things too much but is an option nonetheless.

I searched for Firmata and it seems to be what I am looking for, thanks. Does this means that I should purchase the Arduino BT instead of the Duemilanove ? Or is there some Bluetooth accessory for the Duemilanove ? Finally, I’d imagine that connecting to my PC is quite simple, just using the Bluetooth manager to connect a virtual serial port.

Thanks