Don't Shoot !

Hi, I might be wrong, but it seems to me that there is a challenging learning curve between the common Arduino examples and some of the techniques that are second nature to those of us with a programming background. At the beginning of my programming career it took time and effort to close this gap however many of the folks looking for help on these forums are not programmers by trade and while some of them appear not too concerned with making the effort, others are and will no doubt get there.

I have put the following post together for those that want to make the effort, I am not convinced that I have the level or tone right but if your in the 'would like to know more and willing to make the effort camp' please have a look and please comment on the suitability of the terminology, examples given etc.

If your not in the 'would like to know more and willing to make the effort camp' please, Don't Shoot !

http://rcarduino.blogspot.com/2012/02/rc-lap-timer-go-kart-lap-timer-part-2.html

Duane B

http://rcarduino.blogspot.com/

there is a challenging learning curve between the common Arduino examples and some of the techniques that are second nature to those of us with a programming background.

you are correct, arduino is meant for total noobs and people who really have no interest in electronics other than to get a task done, and in some ways treats its users as stupid, and in some ways does not. This is a common pitfall of a system that is meant to be easy for "anyone" to slip into, while "anyone" writes the answers

As someone with a programming background I found the Arduino to be a fantastic way to learn electronics.

From what I am seeing though it is also a good way for electronics experts to do a little programming.

In my eyes, I see the Arduino platform as being quite balanced.

If there was one limitation it's that a lot of people keep their project code close to their chests which is normal when you're inventing the "next big thing".

Hi, There is no question that the platform itself is brilliant, there are things that I have had at the back of my mind for years that with Arduino I have been able to get done in a month and also learnt a lot in the process.

I have put up a few posts on my blog relating to Servos and RC Receivers mostly for my own interest, but I must get over 100 hits a day on these posts. They are not rocket science but they are sufficient that most people can take their own existing code and level of understanding and turn it into something that works/

I don't know whether servos are uniquely problematic for new programmers or whether there is great gulf between completing the examples and being in a position to complete a useful project, if this is the case a few community contributed programming approaches might be a very useful resource.

On the hardware side I personally found the 'school' section of Mike Cooks web site very helpful - http://www.thebox.myzen.co.uk/Site/Welcome.html

Its a bit of a pick and mix that I like to think of as 'Arduino and the Real World', but where is the programming equivalent ?

Duane B.

rcarduino.blogspot.com